Tuesday, November 01, 2022

All Answers Are Wrong Answers

A couple of weeks ago, I was hanging out with Alex during one of his gigs and we got to discussing Ace Ventura. I think one of us used the, "Do NOT go in there," line. Alex was surprised that they hadn't done a remake of that yet. 

We briefly started to discuss who could even match early-90s Jim Carrey for manic energy, but then got distracted talking about his being in the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, which I admitted to watching on Alex' Amazon Prime account, which segued into discussing Vivarium, so the topic got lost.

While we were driving to another gig of his on Saturday, I brought it up again, and asked Alex who he thought they would cast as the pet detective in a remake. His immediate response: Kevin Hart. Which made me clutch my chest and groan, because yeah. Hart has a lot of loud, shrieky energy, although it's less insane, and more comically terrified.

Due to all the flippin' Taco Bell commercials, I said as long as it wasn't Pete Davidson, which led Alex to say it would definitely be that guy. Admittedly I'm going strictly off said Taco Bell commercials, which in now way encourage me to investigate Davidson further, but he seems like the exact opposite of Jim Carrey. Negative energy. "So doped up he's barely conscious," energy.

The conversation digressed into a more general one on the reasons for Pete Davidson's existence, so I present it to you: If (when) they remake Ace Ventura, who are they going to cast as the title character?

4 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

David Tennant?

CalvinPitt said...

Not a suggestion I would have expected. I gotta admit I haven't seen him in anything comedic, so I can't picture what it would look like.

thekelvingreen said...

There's sometimes a manic energy to his Tenth Doctor that would work for Ventura, but without being a copy of Carrey.

I think that's probably the key. Same sort of energy levels but not a Carrey impersonation, because that's always going to seem second rate.

CalvinPitt said...

That's a good approach, 'cause yeah, I don't think anyone can out-Carrey Jim Carrey.