Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Intermittent Comic Showers in April

April's solicitations had several things from publishers other than Marvel that caught my eye. Some of them are even entirely new things! I can't help feeling like I was grasping at straws, though. Most of them provoked a "Might be worth a look," rather than, "I gotta read that!"

What's new? Zac Thompson and Nicola Izzo are releasing Blow Away, a mini-series about a wildlife photographer who may have witnessed a murder, through Boom! Studios starting in April. Thompson's Nature's Labyrinth mostly left me confused and vaguely dissatisfied, so a potential mystery written by him gives me pause.

Eli Powell's writing and drawing a one-shot called Still, published by Invader Comics, about a guy living alone in the woods, slowly being preyed upon by his past. It's a follow-up to something Powell did previously called Ravage, though. Maybe I ought to track that down first. Francesca Perillo and Stefano Cardoselli have Love Me: A Romance Story, through Mad Cave, about a robot cab driver that falls for a woman tangled up with the mafia. Sounds a little like Sweet Downfall, which Cardoselli wrote and drew and published through Scout back in 2020, although that robot was a hit man.

Speaking of Scout Comics, El Torres and Ruben Gil have the first issue of Loop, about two girls hiding in the midst of a school shooting. Or one of them is hiding and the other is receiving visions of the dying. Doesn't exactly sound like a feel-good tale, but, you know, might be worth a look.

Alien Books has the first volume of Momo: Legendary Warrior, which is a sci-fi epic based on a legend about someone called Momotaro. I'm not thinking this is a likely buy, but maybe I'd swing back around to it down the line if some of the other manga I buy wrap up.

Oh, and the Deadpool ongoing that Marvel listed last month does actually being in April. So throw it on the pile.

Is anything ending? I guess technically Still would end, since it's a one-shot. Otherwise, not that I'm aware of. That Dr. Strange story with Black Cat, Taskmaster and hunter's Moon is going for at least 2 issues, and I won't be surprised if MacKay stretches it out to 3.

What's left? Fantastic Four's doing a noir thing. Vengeance of the Moon Knight and Power Pack are both up to issue 4. Night Thrasher's fighting Silhouette in issue 3 of his mini-series. Jackpot and Black Cat, Ms. Marvel, and Black Widow and Hawkeye will all be on issue 2. I vaguely remembered the Widow got a symbiote, but I figured that was a one-off. Apparently not, and I'm feeling less confident about that mini-series all the time.

Outside Marvel, there's A Haunting on Mars #5, and Rogues #2. As far as manga, Apparently Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World volume 5, and Soul Eater volume 14 are both listed, from Yen press and Square Enix respectively. Although I've still not moved past volume 2 of Soul Eater, so that one may be a moot point. Also, these overlong manga titles are getting old.

No comments: