Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Fall Special: Better Weather, More Comics

I hope the weather is better by September, but if not, at least I'll have more stuff to read from the comfort of my home.

What's new that's coming out? DC has a Plastic Man mini-series I was briefly interested in. Then I saw it was written by Christopher Cantwell. After that Hellcat mini-series last year, he's firmly on my "avoid like the plague" list. Oh well, DC's 2024 goose-egg continues.

Amid all the Venom War crap, Marvel solicited a couple of mini-series, Dazzler (by Jason Loo and Rafael Loureiro), and Avengers Assemble (by Steve Orlando and Cory Smith.) Honestly, in both cases it's mostly curiosity about the overall cast. Dazzler on tour, with Domino, Strong Guy and Jamie Madrox as her crew. Avengers Assemble looks like Captain America, She-Hulk, Hercules, Julie Power, Hawkeye, Shang-Chi, Night Thrasher, Monica Rambeau, Living Lightning and Wonder Man. I feel like that's too big a cast for 5 issues, but what the hell, points for throwing a wide net.

Image has Moon is Following Us by Daniel Warren Johnson, and I don't know that I'll get this, but it caught my eye, so I figure it's worth checking the next couple months' solicits to decide. Mad Cave has Body Trade by Zac Thompson and Jok, about a guy looking for the body of his dead son. It's a revenge story, so I'm sure it'll end with a rumination on the hollowness of revenge, but I can always hope otherwise.

Titan Manga has the first volume of Corpse Blade, a manga set in a zombie apocalypse. I'm not sure about this one, because it's listed as the first volume of three, but the text describes it as a legendary series, which makes me wonder if there were a bunch of spin-off mangas. Not sure I'm up for that. Yen Press has the first volume of Blade and Bastard about a guy who's body was found in a dungeon and resurrected, and now goes back in to retrieve the dead for cash, while trying to find clues to his own past.

What's wrapping up? Commercial Space was solicited by Scout for release in March, but they're resolicited it for September. It's a one-shot, so it would technically end when it begins. I thought I'd read The Boxer was only 8 volumes, but volume 8 certainly doesn't sound like a conclusion, so maybe that info was out of date.

What's left? Quite a bit. Werewolf by Night, Babs, Loop, The Pedestrian and Red Before Black will all be on issue 2. Apparently Red Band wasn't part of the title for Werewolf by Night, it's just some sort of "mature content" designation. Also, probably not good I forgot to check for Red Before Black on the first sweep through, which wasn't a problem for any of the other books.

(I skim through every publisher they list on the Previews website, and when I went past Simon & Schuster for Young Readers, I saw Barb the Last Berzerker, and for a second where I confused the title, I thought Ennis had decided to do a kid-friendly version of Babs. I was just trying to picture him dealing with the restrictions that would bring. "What do you mean I can't have a two-page discussion about how some wizard is a wanker, and precisely how much of a wanker he is?")

Scout resolicited the fourth issue Rogues, while Deadpool is up to issue 6, Vengeance of the Moon Knight is up to issue 9, although the solicit only says "Classified". Which I assume means it's time for Marc Spector's return. Anytime I true to short that book to initials for my notes, I always screw-up and write "VKM" instead of "VMK", so for some reason it's making me think of Vince McMahon.

Oh, and Fantastic Four is up to issue 25.

3 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

The Red Band thing is so dumb, if I've understood it right. The same as the normal comic, except with "mature" scenes inserted.

So... the scenes aren't important, otherwise they'd be in the normal comic.

Or maybe Marvel is making a clever statement about censorship, but I somehow doubt it.

CalvinPitt said...

Is that all Red Band is, the comic equivalent of the "uncut, unrated" version of a movie? I thought they were reviving the MAX imprint. Yeesh, I may need to rethink even bothering with Werewolf by Night.

thekelvingreen said...

That's my understanding, but I haven't seen one in the flesh, as it were.