Wednesday, July 29, 2026

It's Spooky How Busy October Might Get

October's not looking too bad, depending on where you look. Not much of anything new or promising at the larger publishers. Marvel's a mess, with a bunch of new X-Books I don't care about. Fantastic Four's still tying into DNX, so that's a no-go. DC's trotting out some more new series, but I'm not really interested in a horror-themed Jonah Hex book, or James Harren writing/drawing an Etrigan series. At least the smaller publishers are trying to come through for me.

What's new? Marvel's doing another all-splash page fight comic, along the lines of last year's Marvel All-On-One, except it's Doom All-On-One. Also, they picked Alessandro Cappuccio as artist. He is not someone I'd associate with fight comics, compared to Ed McGuinness on last year's offering. Plus, the book is $8, so unless I can find it cheap down the line - and I still haven't managed that with the previous one - it's not happening.

Ruptura has the first issue of Diego Agrimbau and Pietro's Fergus: Advertising Detective. I can't really parse what's going on, because it mentions the city might be subjected to essentially real-world spam, constant bombardment by in-person ads, and that this is bad. But also Fergus is trying to keep his jinxed friend, who agreed to be a walking advertisement but is killing their value through his jinxed-ness, from being assassinated.

Vault is starting up another round of Corin Howell's Lilith with Blood and Burlesque. I bought the tpb of the first volume in January, I'll get to it in the Monday reviews at some point. Cosmic Lion has Ghostman Haunts Again, but 1) it's $10 (albeit for 56 pages) and 2) I never got around to buying the earlier issues, so I don't really know if I'd dig it.

Titan Comics has a 25th anniversary collection of Mat Wakeman and Jamie Hewlett's Phoo Action. I have no idea what that is, I was just drawn up short by the 25th anniversary of something I've never heard of. And Oni Press has Jonathan Djob Nkondo's Wandering, about one person who roams the endless desert the surface world has become, and another who lives in the cities built underground. Which sound pretty much the same as what we have above ground now, but I guess humans stick to what you know. 

What's ending? Nothing.

And the rest: Marc Spector and Generation X-23 are both on issue 9. Assuming I'm still buying the latter, the cast is on a road trip that goes south. Could they maybe skip the two months of Wolverine guest appearances and jump straight to that instead? Batgirl is still tying in to whatever Poison Ivy's doing to Gotham, while The Deadman takes a trip to a soulless future.

D'Orc's also at issue 9, on the run from a necromancer and looking for the Bone Witch. Didn't we just finish 5 issues of him looking for the Bone Witch? D'Orc, you promised if we got you a Bone Witch, you would take care of it, and now look what happened. Vampyrates is on issue 4, and Chachu is on issue 3. In the latter, things are not going too well in Vegas. Do things ever go well in Vegas? It is a city, much like Peggy Hill observed of Phoenix, that should not exist.

This was actually in last month's solicits, but volume 12 of No Longer Allowed in Another World is out in October. Wanted to remember to mention that this month. 

No comments: