Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Could Be A Quiet Christmas

Not a lot of new books in the December solicits, at least not that I'm likely to buy. Lilith: Blood and Burlesque is skipping that month. The Deadman wasn't in DC solicits, so either it was a mini-series, or it's also on a skip month. Vampyrates! #4 is pushed back from October to mid-November, so I'm guessing issue 5 will be out in December now.

Suppose I ought to be spending the money on presents for other people, anyway.

What's new? I was not expecting a comic by Shaq about a West African king turned slave turned pirate, but now we've got Black Caesar, from Archie Comics, no less. Am I going to buy it? No, but it was strange enough to merit mention.

Ablaze has Soldier X creative team Darko Macan and Igor Kordey releasing the first of a 3-volume story about Marshal Bass Reeves, titled Marshal Bass. Am I going to buy it? Maybe down the line, if I hear good things and it looks like they'll actually finish the project.

Abrams Comicarts is, I think, re-releasing volumes of Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda's OGN, The Night Eaters, but re-titled as She Eats the Night? I think that's what's going on. The solicit said the book had been previously released, albeit by a different publisher, but I couldn't find anything matching the title.

In terms of things I would actually buy, it's Garth Ennis and John McCrea's Hitman: It Was the Nineties from DC, which appears to be a couple of new stories set somewhere during the original run.

What's ending? Chachu wraps up, and that's it.

And the rest: Batgirl is still dealing with David Cain's dropping by. Fantastic Four has the team's only chance to save the Earth from impossibly powerful aliens relying on Johnny's ability to bridge the language gap.

Marc Spector and D'Orc are on issue 11. Marc's West Coast reunion tour continues, while Brett Bean's spending an issue focusing on Chicken. Not exactly traditional for Christmas, but whatever meets your dietary requirements.

Which leaves the two books on issue 2. The Agony of Stars has a cop trying to investigate what these cop murders are about. Don't rush, make sure to thoroughly examine all the evidence. Take it home, sleep on it over a long weekend. In Friendly Neighborhood Mary Jane, is having trouble with her investor, Tony Stank. I really ought to spell his last name that way more often.

That said, I'm having second thoughts about that book. I got a closer look at the cover to issue 1, and I think MJ still has a symbiote, which is a strike, added to my doubts about Noto as an interior artist, added to Stank's presence as part of the cast. I guess there's still issue 3's solicit to win me over before the first issue actually comes out.

No comments: