Sunday, February 26, 2006

Movies

I watched 2001:A Space Odyssey for the first time a few weekends ago. I kind of wish I hadn't wasted my time. It was a lot like Citizen Kane in that I can see why people gush over it from a cinematography standpoint, but I can't see anyone watching it because they find it enjoyable. I wound up being extremely bored (just like with Citizen Kane), which is funny, because I really enjoyed the book, as well as the next three books in the series. I guess I read faster than Kubrick directs. But this got me thinking about movies.

It seems like there are certain movies everyone has seen. And it also seems like I often haven't seen these movies, for whatever reason. I've never watched any of the Godfather movies. The idea of them just doesn't catach me. I've never watched E.T., which has surprised more than a few of my friends. Nathan always tells me I need to watch Field of Dreams. Yeah, I'm going to waste two-and-a-half hours on Kevin Costner. I learned my lesson after Dances with Wolves about that.

What about you? What are some movies that it seems like everyone you know has seen, but you haven't? Do you have any interest in actually seeing them?

4 comments:

Centurion said...

2001 is worth watching at least twice. Once to experience the first time, and a second time after you know what's going on. Once is probably enough if you've read the book, but it still too artsy for general consumption.

Give 2010 a chance if you can find it to rent or download. It flows much better than 2001, and actually makes sense of the first movie.

There are a number of movies I haven't seen that many claim are must-see. I did finally watch First Blood (Rambo) a week or so ago, wasn't as bad as I feared.

LEN! said...

I agree where it comes to 2010, it makes a lot more sense of 2001. In fact, for those who haven't seen 2001, I tell them to watch 2010 first, just so they have half a chance of understanding 2001.

At this moment, I can't really think of any movies I haven't seen that I "should have." There used to be a few (The Godfather, for example). But I saw them. I even liked a few of them.

Diamondrock said...

Not so much with movies, but with anime. I've seen a lot of anime, but I haven't seen a lot of the series that so many hardcore fans laud as the "end all be alls" of the genre. Very similar to your situation with movies.

Randy said...

I too have never seen any of the Godfather movies. But it is just not my genre.
I also have never seen the last two Lord of the Rings movies. The first one bored me to tears. I found it outrageous that the movies won Oscars. I tried to watch the last one, but it was sooo sloooow.
And the remake of King Kong. Not a chance.
Hmm...do I have something against Peter Jackson? I don't think so. Frighteners was a great movie.