Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What I Bought 2/8/06

A question. If I walk out of my apartment, see it's snowing, and my reaction is "Well that's just great! I really wanted snow to make my drive to school more difficult today!", does that mean I'm getting old, or am I just bitter college kids don't get snow days? Anyway, spoiler warnings as always.

Teen Titans #32 - Todd Nauck draws this issue, though Daniel still gets named on the cover. At least that explains why both Superboy's necks looked too long, and Flash had an unusually large upper body. So this is basically the fight from Infinite Crisis #4, drawn out for a whole issue. I suppose it allows for a bit more depth, but really, it's all feels pointless.

On January 17th I made this post asking what you thought Speedy's arrow was. Turns out none of us were right, not even Chris who guessed it was a plot device. Nope, it didn't even work as that. Len at the store realized it was a placeholder arrow. You know, it fills a gap in Speedy's quiver until she needs to put a useful arrow in there, then she gets rid of it. Seriously, how the hell do you even make an arrow that does what it was supposed to? Also, I had no clue what was going on with all the Doom Patrol stuff. Was that making fun of John Byrne or something? Going into One Year Later, I can't say whether I'll continue to buy this book. 2 "I've Seen This Before" out of 5.

Robin #147 - So this is the end of Bill Willingham's run. I wish it had gone better, both this issue and the run as a whole. As it is, there were lots of things I didn't buy in this issue. I like Tim tried to check on Dana and Eddie, but he tried to call Nightwing and called him "burnout". That sounds kind of disrespectful. And getting mad at Beast Boy for making jokes? Tim, that's what he does, if you haven't noticed by now you weren't paying attention. And I'm left with this question: Which Luthor was Tim getting that cure for Connor from? I guess it had to be non-Alexander Luthor, but he's been kind of out of it lately. Not really in any condition to be dropping hints to Tim to help find that base.

If I had to say what bothered me most about this it would be Tim's behavior. In part one, which was good, he was calm, confident, making a plan, and keeping his teammates aware of it, while at the same time demonstrating some emotion, such as his concern for his best friend and letting Wonder Girl pummel the security bots because she needed to let off some steam. This issue, he's cross, snapping at people, having these weird inner monologues about how viciously he and the other Titans are fighting the Brainiac things. In other words, he seemed to go from a well-written Batman, who would be the master sleuth, but still had compassion, to Batman of recent years, who's a humongous jerk. If they're going to turn Tim into Bats, at least don't make it that one. I'll probably read this book at least until this "did Robin kill Batgirl?" story is over, though the obvious answer to that question is "Not on the best day of his life". After that, who knows? 2 out of 5.

Ultimate X-Men #67 - You know what I liked? Colossus trying to get Nightcrawler to relax around him. To stop being so weird just because Peter is gay. I liked his point that Kurt isn't attracted to every girl, and Peter's not attracted to every guy, so they can just be buds. But it wouldn't be that easy in real life, and it isn't here either. For better or worse, Kurt's reaction might mirror mine, not in the sense I'd think the guy was interested in me (I'm realistic about my physical attractivness), but I might be a little confused about how it changes things, if it does, so that resonated.

As for the rest? Well, it's still leaning towards the Phoenix Saga, and I made my thoughts clear about that last month, and nothing's changed. I'm curious about the guy that Nick Fury's getting ready to arrest, though I guarantee Fury's about five seconds from getting his ass kicked, because Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D. is still worthless.

I am confused as to how absorbing Gambit's power makes Rouge able to touch people safely again. It seems like it should make her not only put you in a coma, but kinetically charge whatever part of you she's touching until it explodes, leaving you an amputee comatose person. But I'm not complaining. While I don't like her as much as Marvel Rouge, I can still be happy for Ultimate Rouge if this lasts. And yes, I'm ignoring Sabretooth's revelation to Wolverine. Gag. 3 out of 5.

Sensational Spider-Man #23 - Formerly known as Marvel Knights Spider-Man. This is it for this book. I haven't really enjoyed it since Millar's opening run, and even that was up and down. Since then, ugh. And this? Note to Angel Medina: Spider-Man and the Vulture should not have back muscles that would make Captain America jealous, ok? The Vulture doesn't get muscles because he flies, because the suit does the work, and Spider-Man is supposed to be lithe, quick, agile.

As for the story, uhm, animals and people are going crazy. Killing themselves, killing others and so on. For some reason this reminds me of the storyline that made me give up Spawn, where the Clown had turned a huge number of people into disciples of a sort, and they were running around acting out their darker impulses, causing chaos. Even in Spawn, where it works, I didn't read it, and I'm not reading it now. I guess I may keep an eye on this book, see if it turns around, but I doubt it will. 1 "It's a Sad Day When I Drop A Spider-Man Book" out of 5.

Ghost Rider #6 - My intial reaction to the ending was that Ennis had angered me to the point this book wouldn't make my Top Three best mini-series of 2005. Then I calmed down, thought about the ending, what it meant to the character, thought about how this is Garth Ennis, and I reconsidered. So, Ghost Rider takes Green Lantern:Rebirth's spot as the second best mini-series of '05, though it's not in the same hemisphere as GrimJack:Killer Instinct.

Anyway, the battle was kind of lackluster, but you had to admire Blaze's determination. He had a goal, and he was going to get it, he didn't care how powerful his opponents were. Ms. Catamint finally realized her boss needed to die, and this she lives out what Homer Simpson called the American Dream. I don't know how that bullet did as much damage to GR as it did, given he came out OK from being hit with a bus. I guess it was consecrated or something. Even though the end was kind of a bummer, I'd say the Rider definitely lives up to his billing as a Spirit of Vengeance. I'd like to see more of him. And Thor. That's not relevant to this, I just wanted to throw that out there. 3.5 out of 5.

I get the feeling Ennis likes to make fun of religion. I don't know, I didn't read any of his stuff before he came to The Punisher.

3 comments:

kalinara said...

Tim could never kill Cass. Not in a million years. She's his friend...

He probably has the ability though, he's trickier than she is. In a fair fight, she'd wipe the floor with him, no question. But if trickery were involved...She's very honest/overt. He's the DCU character most likely to cheat at anything. But that'd actually require him to make the mental leap. And he wouldn't.

But I am interested in seeing where they're going with this. :-)

Diamondrock said...

I was also a little confused by he whole arrow thing. I mean, they've been building up that damn arrow for something like a year, and then she uses it... Only to have it be a dud?

What was the point?

CalvinPitt said...

Diamondrock - I guess the point was Superboy-Prime is that awesome? Yeah, it was pretty lame.

Kalinara - Yeah, let's hope Tim doesn't make the leap. I think it would severely diminish my enjoyment of Robin if he did.