Monday, February 27, 2006

That Message Was Jumbled, Please Repeat

For what is likely the first and last time, I want to talk about the Shining Knight. I was watching the episode of JLU "Patriot Acts" (because Cartoon Network in the U.S. is way the hell behind the rest of the world, apparently), and something just didn't add up. Run with me here, OK?

So S.K. is criticizing Dirty Harry because in it, Clint Eastwood doesn't follow his captain's orders. S.K. says that dishonors his captain. But then he tells Eiling a story about how he didn't obey an order to destroy a whole village, because he knew it was wrong. And he tells Eiling that the idea that a soldier is supposed to follow orders no matter what is why this time is so screwed up.

So what was his problem with Dirty Harry's actions again? Harry recognized the orders he was given as being, well to be blunt, dumb. Coddling a person who enjoys killing as much as Scorpio did? Harry finds that to be a stupid order, so he ignored it. Granted, it wasn't so good to ignore rules about warrants or Miranda rights (though I did enjoy Harry stomping on the guy's injured leg), but ultimately, Harry was right.

I guess the best I can figure is they hadn't finished watching the movie yet, and maybe Shining Knight would have changed his mind farther along. I don't know, maybe I missed something. But I'm with Vigilante; Shining Knight needs to watch what he says about Mr. Clint Eastwood.

4 comments:

Jake said...

No, they had watched the end because when they got on the elevator, Vigilante said, "What luck, as soon as the movie ended we get a mission," or something to that effect.

I'm thinking it was the violence and the lack of "thinking things through" that was more objectionable to Shining Knight. He saw Harry as reactionary, the way Arthur had been in ordering him to destroy the village.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. Shining Knight was ordered to do something completely horrendous and he refused. His complaint with Harry was that he just up and left to go out and hurt some people.

Different things.

And this is coming from a guy who loves "The Man With No Name"

CalvinPitt said...

I can see what you mean about Harry being reactionary and wanting to hurt a person. Scorpio shot up his partner, killed people, and Harry wanted to stop him real bad. And so he got emotional, and didn't follow the law, and he did make things worse by not getting a warrant, which allowed Scorpio to be free to hijack a bus.

But concerning the bus situation, Scorpio had shown he really has no regard for anyone but himself, so it makes sense to me at that point that Harry might decide they couldn't trust Scorpio not to hurt those kids if he took a notion to.

I guess it's easier for me to justify Harry's actions because it worked out OK, when it very easily could have gone wrong (the bus crashes because he jumped on it). But if he obeys orders, and then Scorpio kills all the kids as he gets off the plane in whatever foreign land he was going to move to, then Harry made a mistake in following orders. The difference would be that instead of the orders coming from someone who's making the judgement in the heat of battle, or the immediate aftermath (King Arthur), they came from someone afraid of losing his position of power (mayor). In either case, I feel the commander is impaired.

But I'm very biased.

Ragnell said...

I promise Calvin, I'll weigh in once I get around to avtually watching the episode. Got it taped.