Friday, August 18, 2006

Dimension Hopping's A Pain. . .

And so are light comic weeks. And next week isn't looking much better (only Ultimate Spider-Man?!).

So with few comics to look at, and the one's I have not really shaking anything loose right now, I'm turning instead to the Teen Titans cartoon. The topic for today: the identity of the second Red X. I haven't actually seen his identity confirmed anywhere (if it has been let me know), but that just means we get to have fun speculating.

We know the first was Robin in disguise, but who's the self-professed "thief" who has the suit now?

My vote is for an alternate reality Dick Grayson. He arrived here courtesy of the foul-ups of Larry and his 'magic finger'. Given that he simultaneously fixed Robin's arm and dumped the Boy Wonder into some sort of empty white space (quite possibly Joe Quesada's brain! *rimshot*), it doesn't seem out of the question that he initially grabbed the wrong guy when trying to bring Robin back.

The (Circumstantial) Evidence:

Red X is the same size and body type as Robin. He moves similarly. He does have a sense of right and wrong (or maybe just a sense of honor), he just ignores it most of the time. That suggests that wherever he learned his skills, there may have been a greater purpose behind the teaching. He's voiced by the same person who voices Robin (Scott Menville). I know, the suit has a voice changer, and Robin was the original wearer, so, you keep the voice consistent, but when Michael Rosenbaum, who voices Wally West-Flash on JLU, also voices Kid Flash on Teen Titans, I'm not inclined to dismiss choices in voice actors as irrelevant. But that's me. Furthermore, Red X is attracted to Starfire.

OK, maybe that last one isn't much proof in and of itself. Just thought it should be thrown in there.

I figure that if I'm right, there's two possibilities to explain his actions. One, he was adopted by Bruce Wayne, and received the training, but decided risking his neck for others, while receiving no tangible benefits, wasn't for him. So he parted ways with Bats at an early age, and went into the thieving business. Kind of a "Jason Todd meets Booster Gold" kind of thing.

Two, he's a Dick Grayson that's a few years older than Robin. Maybe he was the loyal partner, but then he saw Batman destroyed - perhaps in a situation where the public and the police turned on him, ala that nightmare Batgirl had in the episode "Over the Edge" of The New Batman Adventures. In that situation he's not only alone, he's angry at the people they helped, he's bitter, he's looking out for #1. I don't think that fits as well, as X seemed pretty easygoing, a very "roll with the punches" kind of guy, but it's a thought.

Of course, he could be related to Starfire's time-traveling, or Control Freak or Mumbo's apparent abilities to mess with reality, or he's a version that took to Slade's training (remember he commented that Robin enjoyed stealing for him), or he could simply be some anonymous thief, much like Hobgoblin was originally.

So, that's what I've got. I'm not sure whether there'll be a post tomorrow, I have to leave town to attend a bachelor party. Whoo, I'm gonna get hammered!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Inside Information? Edit: I mean about Red X, as opposed to my weekend plans.

4 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

About getting hammered or Red X?

If the latter, I always thought the second Red X was an anonymous thief.

If he was unveiled, it was in one of the episodes that aired the final season. My son and I missed a few of those.

He was a huge fan of Teen Titans, by the way. Now that first-run episodes are over, though, he transferred his loyalties to Xiaolin Showdown and Jughead.

CalvinPitt said...

Red X. *grins sheepishly*

Anonymous thief is probably the best idea, it just seemed like there were some similarities between them, and that X understood Robin to an extent, so I start getting paranoid, and thinking there's more to it.

thekelvingreen said...

I'm so out of touch with Teen Titans. They don't seem to show it over here, and I only saw a handful of season two episodes before I left the US.

Anonymous said...

Grant Wilson