Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What I Bought 8/23/06

Four random thoughts from comics to start off. One, I looked through Wonder Woman #2, and Dodson made Tim Drake look like an Asian teenage girl. Two, I can't believe 52 isn't even one-third done. Three, what's the over on the number of issues of Justice League before Meltzer kills off that girl Dinah adopted in Birds of Prey? Four, exactly how badly should Gail Simone mess him up when he does? So, my pull list provided two books, and I picked up a third on a whim. Beware the spoilers!

Exiles #85 - I thought Tony Bedard finished his run on Exiles last issue. Is he hanging around because of Claremont's health problems? For whatever reason, I'm cool with Bedard, so why ask why?

The Exiles have been. . . stranded in Heather Hudson's universe, and the little bug guys have picked a whole new team. Consisting entirely of Wolverines. Cripes, I like Wolverine, but that's nuts. They've been called together to fight a fairly odd foe: A female Magneto that tried to absorb her reality's Wolverine, only to merge with him, and the Scarlet Warlock, and Quicksilver and Mesmero. And now is a glowy-blue person. Say what now?

It also turns out this isn't the first team of Wolverines the bug guys have sent, and this one has about as much success as the previous attempts. But Logan of "Days of Future Past" is a little bit quicker on the uptake than most, and he's come up with a plan. I don't know, this may actually be too weird for me, but I'll wait and see. 3.7 out of 5.

Heroes for Hire #1 - Now why did I buy this? Oh yeah, I liked watching Misty and Colleen tell off Stark, Richards, and Spider-Man. As you might have guessed, the aforementioned butt-kicking ladies have formed a team, and they're going to use it to capture people who don't register, though they seem to want to stick with villains, rather than hunt down Captain America and his Band of Brothers.

Offhand, they aren't bad. They took down roughly eleven criminals in this issue alone. Granted, I can't recall having ever heard of any of them (except Bloodshed, he was in Spider-Man Unlimited #4!), but at least they're actually capturing bad guys. Wolverine seems to be the only other registered person interested in that. The capturing bookends the previously mentioned conversation, where Stark and Reed seem to be trying to play the heavies, which is pretty par for the course for them these days.

The art is a little too heavy on the T & A at times. I mean, these ladies kick ass; you had me at that, especially given they're an eclectic mix of lower-tier characters. Should be a fun ride, especially since Misty and Colleen seem clever in their plannings. Plus, it has Shang-Chi! How the hell are you not up for that? 4.1 out of 5.

Ultimate Spider-Man #99 - And this is what I was afraid of. Bendis has gone completely off the rails. We've got Ultimate Kaine, a live Gwen Stacy, Nick Fury's been informed of the Peter Parker with a tail grafted to his spine. Aunt May knows about Peter as Spider-Man, and her reaction, well it's not very nice. Oh yeah, and Pete's dad showed up. And we still have no [expletive deleted] idea who the [expletive deleted] is behind this [expletive deleted] mess. Heck, I'm sure it's Dr. Conners' lab assistant, Ultimate Ben Reilly (no, I'm serious about this, he kept a sample of the Carnage-thingy)

What else? Well, it sounds like MJ is about to get the spider treatment, as her captor has apparently put his full mind to use. Fury is planning to unleash the Spider-Slayers on Peter and his loved ones, and well, this is just a huge I-don't-know-what. I mean give us a hint about what's going on, besides "Gwen remembers waking up in a hospital". A friggin' crumb, that's all I'm asking for! 2.2 out of 5.

7 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, Bedard's hanging on on Exiles while Claremont recovers.

Wow. Ultimate Spider-Man seems to be all over the place right now. Is Bendis having a Frank Miller-style breakdown in the paages of his comics?

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: well that makes sense with Bedard. As for Bendis, he may just be running out of steam as he approaches that hallowed "most consecutive issues by any Marvel writer/artist duo" record.

Or it may be that he overestimated his ability to make the Clone Saga not, you know, suck.

Anonymous said...

No Wolverine?

It has Namor punching Wolverine, a guy who regularily gets thrown by Collossus at large metal things, so hard he knocks him out. So hard in fact that it keeps Wolvie down longer then Nitro blowing away everything except his bones.

Like him or not thats bad ass.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, that was pretty sweet, I just didn't feel like buying it. I was a little surprised that Tony Stark let the only person more hotheaded than Namor go and negotiate with the Scion of Atlantis.

thekelvingreen said...

Why does Namor have to register anyway? He's a foreign head of state.

Anonymous said...

That was my question to?

CalvinPitt said...

Does Namor have to? I thought Iron Man was just putting pressure on him to pledge the support of Atlantis for the act, since other countries were going to.

I mean by human standards, isn't every Atlantean a super-human? It's normal for them.

Wait, why are we expecting Civil War to make sense, again?