Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What I Bought 8/9/06

Don't you hate it when a dream tries to tell you something important, but you can't remember the specifics? Last night I dreamt of a soda machine that sold Mandarin Orange Slice, but I can't remember where I was when I saw it. Of course, in the dream I had a job (which I wasn't doing), so it may simply not be time for me to find that particular machine. But someday.

I'm going to try and shorten the reviews. I know I've said it before, but I'll try and hit the major plot points and leave the editorializing for later in the week. Cross your fingers, and keep yourselves on guard for spoilers.

Annihilation #1 - And away we go. Things appear to have come together since Annihilation: Nova #4. Richard Rider has assumed the John Conner role against the Annihilation Wave, and most of the players from the other series are here (excluding the cast of Super-Skrull). We've got Gamora, Ronan, Drax, Cammi, Firelord, Stardust, some guy who called himself "Starlord", the whole crew.

Meanwhile, we've apparently already missed the Surfer/Galactus versus Aegis/Tenebrous fight, as we get it in flashback. Let's put it this way, Thanos is happy with the results.

Not bad for a start. It felt like it set the board well, there's a few gaps left to be filled in later, and some mysteries to answered later as well. I'm not disappointed 3.8 out of 5.

Warbird #6 - I'll say this first, if you were thinking about buying this to see Carol and Captain America discuss their differences, forget it. That discussion comes in flashback, and it lasts about one page. We already know how she chose, so it's probably not a big deal.

Carol, Wonder Man and Julia Carpenter, Spider-Woman 2, Arachne, whatever, meet up with Tony Stark to get their marching orders. Julia is to go after Fortress Keeper's favorite The Shroud, which is a bit odd given Stark says he took out an entire squad single-handedly the night before. Then maybe Wonder Man should go after him, hmm?

But Simon and Carol are going to be busy criss-crossing Brooklyn looking for. . . Arana! Wow, combine that with Carol capturing the Prowler at the start of the issue, and the anti-registration group is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So, Prowler gives SHIELD some info on who warned him they were coming after him, but only after they threaten to throw his wife in jail with him. Yup, fair and balanced, that's the Marvel approach. His information makes the plot contrivance of Arachne going after the Shroud work, while Carol and Simon run into Arana at a fast food joint, setting up next issue's beatdown of a young hero whose only crime will be trying to stop a robbery in front of Warbird and Wonder Man. A little disappointing, because I really thought we'd get a good discourse about the pros cons of registration, but it boiled down to a couple of sentences whether or not you should follow all laws, or only those you think are just. Of course, that is probably the whole crux of the argument, but I'd kind of like to see if debated more heavily. If that don't bug you much, you'll rate it higher than me 3.4 out of 5.

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2 - See Spider-Man humiliate the Shocker for the fourth(?) time. See Foggy Nelson advise Spidey that if he wants Shocker to stay in jail, he should actually take him to the cops, instead of leaving him webbed to a lightpost. This leads to Spidey conversing with Jean DeWolfe, who advises him of another criminal that needs to be stopped, that the cops can't arrest, that's right it's the new guy gunning for the Kingpin, the Ultimate Kangaroo! Dear God, help me survive. At least he doesn't seem to be sporting a Claremontesque accent (no "Oi!" that I can recall). Jean gives Webs the address, Webs goes, he waits, man gets thrown out window, Spidey gets involved.

Hey it's Ultimate Jerk. . . I mean Ultimate Daredevil! I'd swear Millar wrote this guy. I mean he stops attacking the Kangaroo to hit Spider-Man - twice! - for daring to help. What an ass. Then Ultimate Punisher shoots a rocket at everyone. Yep, he's escaped from prison. Or been released, I just know the warden didn't want him in his prison after he killed three men with his lunch tray. And Ultimate Moon Knight shows up! Yes, he's out of his coma, and escaped from the hospital by leaping across rooftops in a green t-shirt and tighty-whities!

You didn't need to know that last part, did you?

People are arrested, people are killed, people are sad, vigilantes are making offers to other vigilantes, some of it felt kind of cheap, but all in all, not bad. And I'm curious to see how the events in this resonate in upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man stories. 4.3 out of 5.

Ultimate X-Men #73 - So Xavier and Fury have realized something is up with Magician. When the team gets back to the mansion, they confront him. The revelation that he's been lying and tricking people doesn't go over well, and surprisingly, Cyclops takes the first shot. Pretty soon, everyone gets involved, and they're all trying to keep him busy until Xavier can shut his powers down. Except he knocked Xavier out. Free-for-all!

Yeah, uh, "free-for-all" doesn't work very well for the X-Men, and things are looking real bad when a certain - possibly crazy, possibly possessed by an ancient force - someone shows up, looking to brawl. And Dazzler's not in her hospital bed anymore. Aw Kurt, I know you're hard up with no girlfriend, but come on! I'm joking! I'm sure it's all explained in the Annual, which I will review when it comes out. But really, that's it. I'm sticking with my assertion that this is Proteus, or at least, that's he exerting some influence from within this kids' head. Having a hard time grading this. Wasn't a bad comic, wasn't great, just seemed to be there to get things to the point at the end, and what actually happened along the way was incidental. Except maybe the part where Magician likes Kitty (seeing as she was the X-Girl that was hitting on him, when Rogue and Storm where in the same plane). Um, let's call it 3.5 out of 5.

6 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I didn't know people considered The Shroud a hero. I guess he isn't doing the Green Hornet "hero undercover as a villain" bit now.

I'll have to give this one a look, but Shroud better not end up pro-registration!!!

Unless he's a mole for Cap, which would fit his MO.

Wow, that's a lot of thought devoted to The Shroud. I'm not well ...

Anonymous said...

I dropped Ms. Marvel for three reasons: 1) Jon Sibal's inks look terrible, 2) Brian Reed said "It's almost the book NextWave is making fun of", which makes no sense whatsoever, and 3) Arana will be part of the supporting cast. Yikes. I worry when a writer can't populate his supporting cast with anything but other hero characters.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Well, I'd figure Shroud's on the fully straight and narrow now, given the scenes between him and Arachne.

Anonymous said...

what irks me is that the pro regs heroes are stopping the non-reg guys during criminal acts or robberies...it boggles me how these heroes attack the non reg ones when they are saving lives or stopping crime..id like to see iron man and them stop the villian/burgalr then deal with whos anti regs. i cant see as heroes how they are more worried about the other heroes who are trying to stop crimes. also its funny that iron man would go after heroes who have been heroes for awhile..i can see newbies or rookies but they are going after pepole who at times are more heroic than tony has been..its just werid to me..i dont see how the public could call them heroes when they arent doing anything heroic..polic officers maybe..keepers of the peace but not heroes.


gabe summers

CalvinPitt said...

anonymous: I gotta agree. I was looking through She-Hulk this week, and I was stunned to see Jen tackle Hellcat, rather than the villain she was trying to catch, just to get 'Cat to register.

Sure, Jen had SHIELD backup to capture the criminal, but that kind of delay could cost lives.

I guess what we can assume is the government is telling the public the registered heroes are providing a great service by rounding up these uncontrolled vigilantes, and once these outlaws are dealt with, they'll turn their focus to actual criminals. Kind of a P.R. move, and Tony Stark won't stick his neck out to contradict the government.

Anonymous said...

2 things thankx for responding and 2 sorry i keep poping up all over your page hahahah i swear im not stalking!!! hahah but dude your marvel blog kicks mad panda ass!!

gabesummers