Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Timetable for a Resurrection

I was thinking about character death recently. I suppose it was prompted by the return of Uncle Ben, and someone at the store sarcastically commenting, "Nobody stays dead". This, of course lead to us pointing out a few characters who have died and remained that way. I'm not sure what to draw from this, but Spider-Man seems to have quite a few. That, in my grumpy frame of mind over Alternate Universe Uncle Ben shooting people (even if one of them was that tool, Spider-Man of 2211), lead to me contemplating how these characters will make their seemingly inevitable returns to the printed page. So here's what I've got:

There's Captain George Stacy, Gwen's dad, killed by falling bricks during a Spidey/Doc Ock fight, in the one Amazing Spider-Man comic my father still has (so naturally, no covers). Spider-Man somehow used webbing to block Ock's commands to his arms, causing them to go crazy. Not only do I not understand how that works, I'm not really sure it's that great of a plan. Now we have four impossibly long metal tentacles just flailing about wildly! Um, hooray?

Anyway, there's a rumor* that Captain Stacy was going to return, but saw what JMS did to his daughter Gwen and had Death divert a heart attack that was meant for Aunt May to him, and he went right back into the ground before we ever saw him. So they'll just use his brother Arthur Stacy instead.

*I am completely bullshitting about there being a rumor about this, I just made it up.

I noted that Harry Osborn was still dead, but that's probably because the writers consider him superfluous as long as they have Big Daddy Osborn. To be honest, I'm quite alright with that. The more I look at it, the more impressed I am with Spectacular Spider-Man from about #178 (beginning of "The Child Within")-#200 (Harry's death). It does such a nice job of depicting Harry's slow descent, with him struggling not to get buried under the weight of all the lousy stuff he's been through. It's sad, but it's powerful. I'm less pleased with the revelation he was behind the "Peter's fake parents" plot, but that's another story.

Still, I'm going to offer a prediction. Harry Osborn will return from the dead in a Spider-Man comic in November of 2016 (23.5 years after his death, just like Norman), revealing himself to be behind all of the mystic crap that's plagued Spidey recently {Edit: Looks like I was off by 8 years. Harry's back as of the start of 2008, in an even stupider way than I came up with.}. See, whereas Norman went to Europe and hung with the Brotherhood of Scriers, Harry went and learned from some of Dr. Strange's old enemies, becoming a powerful mystic. And just as an advance warning, keep your eyes out for Norman's 2nd death in April of 2013 (35 months prior to Harry's return, just as Harry died 35 months prior to Norman's reemergence), killed alongside his offspring in some battle royale involving them and a hairy, six-eyed, five-armed, stinger-wielding Spidey (he hasn't completely become a Spider-Monster yet, just close to it). Spider-Man will ensure victory by biting all their heads off. And I'm depressed now.

I think the last person I brought up was Jean DeWolff, who died again recently at the hands of Ultimate Punisher, for the crime of being a dirty cop, which lead to a page of the Ultimate Kingpin being sad (which was oddly touching, what with him being evil and all).

In my typical cynicism, I think Bendis was just doing that to set the stage for the return of Marvel Universe Jean DeWolff. I'm sure that very soon we're going to find out that Jean faked her death to join SHIELD for the purposes of getting revenge on. . . someone, for the death of. . . someone. "Detective Stan Carter", aka The Sin-Eater, was in fact a SHIELD-employed shape shifter, with no actual skeleton or internal organs, and the ability to alter his density. In this way he was able to absorb a beating from an enraged guy who can lift a bus (who by all rights should have shattered Sin-Eater's face with the first punch, enhanced strength through SHIELD use of PCP or not), and even retaliate with punches that could stun Spider-Man.

As for the judge and the priest that Sin-Eater killed? Well, I'm sure it'll be explained those were actually MODOK's evil AIM technicians, hiding out until the could put forth a plan involving Communion wafers and jury duty to make an army of mindless drones.

So, what character out there that's currently dead, do you have a brilliant (or depressing) resurrection story for? If you're worried the honchos at DC or Marvel might actually read this, and use your idea, and you don't want the character resurrected, then just leave their name. Maybe someone can come up with a super-cool idea to resurrect Nightwing!

What do you mean he's not dead? What do you mean he's just horribly written?

9 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

How about the real Kara Zor-El returning to beat the @#$% out of the brat who currently holds the title?

Could be a lingering effect of a Superboy punch or something one of those Monitors (gag) could pull out of their sleeves.

I, of course, would buy it.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: I'd be alright with that. And honestly, after DC decided "Superboy-Prime punched something" was an effective reason for something to happen, pretty much anything should be acceptable.

thekelvingreen said...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

You think Marvel will still be publishing in 2013!

I've only been reading Amazing, so I saw May thinking she'd seen Ben months ago, but has he really come back?

Stupid Marvel.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: Well techinically it's an Uncle Ben from an alternate universe, where Aunt May was the parental figure who died (of a heat attack or falling down the stairs, I forget which), but yeah, there's an Uncle Ben walking around the Marvel Universe, and he's packing heat.

As for Marvel being there in 2013, call me foolishly optimistic. I'm not sure it's an apt description, but you could still call me that.

Evan Waters said...

Moira McTaggert gets revived by aliens who need to use her knowledge of the mutant phenomenon for... some reason. Possibly the Breakworld guys.

Anonymous said...

Despite Marvel nearly stumbling into her resurrection about twice a year for a decade now and somehow thinking it a worse thing to do than, say, delay a quarter of its line for 7 weeks, I'm going to once more throw my hat in the ring of fire for Magik.

Though I haven't worked out a Grand Illyana Resurrection Plan (honestly, that's the easy part--there are about twenty ways to bring her back with little fuss), I do have a post-resurrection direction for her character. I would make her aware of her two previous deaths (Inferno and Legacy Virus), essentially making her the ultimate bitter teenager. What was once an innocent little snowflake is so f#&%ed-over by the world that she is pissed at everything and everyone and she has the power to take out her frustrations on an epic level. The only--ONLY--reasons she doesn't just rip Earth a new one are Peter and Kitty. It's brotherly-responsibility and best-friend-dedication on steroids.

I'd like to bring back Moira, too. Besides Magnus and Lilandra, she's the only one who can talk to Charles as an equal, not a student or tenant or challenger. The only thing is, Moira's appeal is that she's a regular human, not a caught-up-in-weirdness superbeing; returning-from-the-dead would take away her normality. So I'd just say that Charles faked her death and secretly whisked her away to be the FF's janitor for a few months, only to reveal herself when Ben becomes Roc, Defender of the Nexus of All The Marbles.

thekelvingreen said...

Oh, and I'd bring back the original Death's Head, for all five of his fans.

thekelvingreen said...

How did Alternate Ben get into the MU? Wanda's chaos magic? Superboy punching a wall?

What book did all this happen in?

CalvinPitt said...

evan: Sounds good to me

cove: I have to admit, I miss Illyana a bit too. And that's two votes for Moira! Pay attention Marvel!

kelvin: Death's Head? Why not? Five fans is probably still 3 more than The Sentry has, and he keeps showing up.

Oh, and Alternate Uncle Ben showed up courtesy of the Hobgoblin of 2211, who has been travelling through parallel realities, killing off Spider-Man. Bringing Uncle Ben in was a way to screw with Peter's head, and get him to consider helping her out.

I really have no clue what Peter David was thinking.