Thursday, September 27, 2007

Share And Share Alike

Once, long ago, I theorized about what Aunt May was really up to when she got all dressed up to 'get together with friends'. First off, I can't believe this has been getting strung out that long. It's been like 18 months, and we've finally met the guy! Sure, it's probably only been three weeks for them, but geez. Yeah, I know. Bendis. Right. Got it.

Second, and more importantly, is the speculation as to what the deal is with the boyfriend, this Miles Warren. There is a deal, you know. Those familiar with the original clone stories probably know the name as the secret identity of the Jackal, the jerk that started the whole clone thing in the first place. But then again, the original Ben Reilly was a clone of Peter Parker, while Ultimate Ben Reilly was a colleague of Curt Conners' (and the one that made off with what was left of the Carnage-thing, which probably makes him the Ultimate Universe's version of Warren), so names may not mean all that much. Besides, I think Bendis is pushing too hard for us to think that Warren is evil. He wants us to think Warren's call was about Osborn, hinting that Warren is involved with SHIELD or something, but I'm not buying it. It's too pat. So what do we know?

He's a doctor of some sort. We know he says he has a patient acting up. He has a sporty red car. And we know he wears dark glasses indoors. From this, I have concluded he is *drum roll* Charles McNider, the original Dr. Mid-Nite.

McNider was a doctor, and he couldn't see in normally lit conditions. That's why Warren wears dark glasses indoors, to allow him to see, but go out in public normally more readily than his special visor would. The glasses aren't as effective as the visor though, which is why May has the lights dimmed a bit from what I could tell.

What? More romantic that way? Fah! It's for his benefit, probably because he complained of "migraines". A man's got to protect his secrets, you know.

What's he doing here? Well, he's getting new lease on life, after Extant so cruelly extinguished it in Zero Hour. By the sound of it, he may have decided to change specializations, shifting to psychiatry rather than medicine. Well, the Ultimate Universe was supposed to be a chance for a fresh start, so I suppose that's fine. Also, I figure he's what DC gave in return for my donation of Uncle Ben to the Green Lantern Corps. I think that's a good deal on both sides, myself.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

An interesting theory, Calvin. I am sure that whomever this mystery suitor is however, he wlil turn out to be involved in SOMETHING nefarious.

Matthew said...

What *is* it with May dating Spider-villains, anyway?

My guess: er, Ultimate Sentry! :p And the 'patient' is himself!

(Oh c'mon, I'm Sentry's biggest apologist! I had to say it!)

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I've got it! He's involved in a, uh, pyramid scheme, to bilk seniors out of their savings! The bastard!

matthew: Women like dangerous men, and you can't get much more dangerous than a lunatic with the power of a thousand exploding suns.

Matthew said...

That's *million*, Calvin. Don't make me hurt you.