Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What I Bought 9/26/07

I have to tell you, I'm not against annuals as a concept. I've enjoyed the two Ultimate Spider-Man Annuals, especially since Bendis uses them as an opportunity to lay groundwork for stories he's going tell, groundwork he'd probably waste ten issues building otherwise. What I'm not a fan of is these annuals done in place of the regular monthly issue, which seems to be what they did with The Punisher this month. And no, I didn't buy that Annual; it didn't contribute to the ongoing storyline (which is fine, I don't demand that of annuals), and it didn't look like it was worth $4 (which I do demand of annuals). So I guess I should talk about what I did buy instead, that being the title of the post and all.

Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #3 - I'm not sure what to say about this issue. Mantis was on the money about the Phalanx' scheme, which will probably allow Giffen to challenge Starlord with a potential repeat of his darkest moment. Gabe's trying to face up to his personal crisis, and we're reminded of an important rule about death: always make sure you see the body before making the declaration. That's all I'll say as to the plot, so as not to spoil things too much.

I like Giffen's dialogue in the issue, how it seems to reflect the characters, especially working with Green's art. Mantis seems calm, basically unconcerned with the whole situation, and Green does an excellent job of depicting this. it's hard to explain, but there's a scene where the group is trapped between two waves of Phalanx drones, and everyone is blasting away, except Mantis, who's cutting a hole in the wall (with telekinesis I assume). She looks very relaxed, as if she has all the time in the world. Like I said, I can't explain it, it's just a vibe I get from her, a combination of how Green draws her (especially her hand), and what she says.

Likewise, Gabe sounds tentative and confused, shoulders slouched, but as things heat up, he's in his element, speaking and acting more confidently. Also, Green's doing a better job (to my eye) depicting movement, such as running. There's some very nice panels in this issue. 4 out of 5.

Captain America/Deadpool #45 - Well, if Nicieza's going to change half of the title every month, I might as well follow suit. This is kind of an odd story to read, probably because I'm not used to Wade doing the right thing when he doesn't have a friend involved. I mean, Wade rushing to Providence to help Cable, or back to the HYDRA base for Weasel? Sure, I can see that. But watching his actions in this issue was a little odd. Though really, what better statement can there be about how awesome Captain America is, than the fact he makes Deadpool really want to do the right thing?

That being said, I don't understand what the hell was going on with time repeating, and people remembering things at one point but not at another, or why exactly Bucky was so damn crazy. Seriously, Bucky spent the issue acting like Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman. Is it commentary on his transformation into the Winter Soldier? Probably, but hell if I know.

Additionally, why were the Fantastic Four looking so threatening on the last page? They let Weasel in their building willingly, he's trying to correct the situation, there's no need for threats. I expect better of T'Challa. So, a mixed bag of an issue. I've got a bad feeling Nicieza's going to be spinning his wheels until the book ends its run. Why? Why are you canceling it Marvel, you bastards? 3 out of 5, because I'm just so confused.

Immortal Iron Fist #9 - Well, that did not go how I expected. I guess it had to go that way for them to have the Annual, which takes place between this issue and next month's #10. Danny's not even certain about the outcome himself, and I'm not certain I believe what Danny's trying to tell himself, either.

Anyway, the fight was interesting, so that's good. As for the intrigue, well, that was OK I guess, but I think that I'm of the mindset that if you tell me there's going to be a big tournament of fighting, then damnit, I want a big tournament of fighting. Save the secrets for another day, unless it revolves around one contestant's attempts to sabotage another. Sooooo, 3.1 out of 5.

Immortal Iron Fist Annual #1 - Does Howard Chaykin seem to be drawing a lot of books these days? Dude seems to be everywhere I turn. Anyway, this is all about Orson Randall, and all the shit that followed him around because he wouldn't fight in that one Tournament of Yadda Blah. It's an entertaining little tale, one that suggests to me that Brubaker and Fraction watch anime while ingesting mind-altering drugs before they start coming up with characters (that's meant as a compliment, by the way). "Super Lightning Lord, Electric Demon of Manaslu"? Really now.

I'm not sure what else to tell you about this issue. It's a collection of snapshots from the life of someone who was a bit off, to be kind about it, and it's interesting, and pretty fun, but I don't know that I would pound my fist on the table and demand you purchase this book. 3.7 out of 5.

Ultimate Spider-Man #114 - Bendis finally introduced us to Aunt May's boyfriend (why the hell did I start to type 'girlfriend'?), and I know you've all been eagerly awaiting that. Well, he clearly thinks he's smarter than he is. How do I know? Because he's wearing dark glasses inside, which just like Tony LaRussa wearing sunglasses at night, is clearly a sign of a man who thinks he's smarter than he is. OK, that's probably not what's up with the glasses, but Bendis wants us to think he's bad. So I'm sure he isn't. Just a hunch.

Good sign about Peter's maturation: Osborn appears on TV, Peter begins making plans, such as getting MJ and Aunt May some place else. Then he goes looking for Norman. I approve of more proactive Peter, rather than sit-n-wait Peter. Even if being proactive tends to blow up in his face, as it does here, because SHIELD is full of dumbasses. I mean, I get that the cops are scared and overreact to costumed weirdoes, but I expect better from SHIELD. I feel bad for Peter, to be trapped in a world with people who are so stupid, and to feel like he has to help them when naked guys with electric powers start freaking out. 4.2 out of 5.

That's enough of that, I think.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Holy Moley, the Punisher issue was an annual? I didn't even notice! No wonder it didn't seem to have anything to do with the regular story!

I used to get excited about annuals, but lately, it's more "meh"

Ultimate Spidey was pretty good though. I agree with you, I think that Aunt May's boyfriend will turn out to be a bad guy. God forbid, she should hook up some ordinary schmoe.

Anonymous said...

If you remember after he discovered Cable was dead at the end of #42, Wade says, "I won't let you down..." so I assume he's trying to turn over a new leaf and do good works.

A lot of the characters in the Immortal Iron Fist Annual seemed like over the top parodies of the kind of pulp pastiches you'd find in Ron Fortier novels.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: See, I actually think he isn't bad, because I think Bendis is trying to send hints that he is, to fool us. because he's The Talented Mr. bendis, or some such nonsense.

dan coyle: I think you're right about Deadpool, it was just a bit surprising to me.

And I also think you've helped me understand what I was feeling about the Iron Fist Annual. Things were so over-the-top, I didn't feel there was any substance to it, just a series of crazy things. Which sounds a little like a Bob Haney story, though I think this had more internal logic. But it was hard to get invested in it.