Thursday, December 29, 2005

Discussion Topic

So, this is likely my last post for the week. I'm going out of town Friday morning, and I doubt there'll be a good computer for me to post from during my week out of town, so I'll be back for certain with comic reviews next Friday. Anyway, here's what I wanted to discuss:

It's been said somewhere, by someone, and then repeated on blogs, that "Superheroes shouldn't date normal people" or something like that. So the obviously, my question is, where do you stand on that?

I can't really decide myself. I think the problem with that is it limits people a bit in their potential partners, especially for those of the same-sex persuasion. Plus there's that whole idea about not dating co-workers, so you know.

On the other hand, I am getting kind of tired of Mary Jane being worried about Peter going out to fight crime when he's injured, or sick, or emotionally distressed, and all she can try to do it guilt-trip him into not going because she can't help when he's out there. If he was dating the Black Cat, she could at least go out to back him up.

I guess I feel that ultimately from the characters' standpoint, it would make sense to date a fellow cape, if only because it means they'd be better able to defend themselves against those looking to hurt the heroes loved ones. But from a readers' standpoint, and from the writers' it's probably too limiting to the character to narrow their world down like that.

Well, that's my two cents, now it's time for yours. If you don't mind, I have to finish packing and watch Death Wish 2. it's a movie where Charles Bronson shoots people! Wait, that's all his movies. . . See ya next week!

5 comments:

kalinara said...

It is a difficult dilemma, I think. But in the end, I think it's better that the heroes get to date civilians as well. For every Mary Jane, we have Lois, Sue Dibny, Linda Park, Carol Ferris. (Sorry my experience is primarily DC). And whether you like these women or hate them, it must be admitted, that each relationship with the hero is unique in their own right.

Marvel, I think, has fewer hero-not-hero pairings, but I don't necessarily think they should be eliminated there either.

Of course, I'd always wanted an Xavier/Moira MacTaggart pairing. So I'm biased.

thekelvingreen said...

Like most of these things, it depends on how well the writer(s) use it. A hero dating a civilian is fine if they can get good stories out of it. Ditto heroes dating each other.

thekelvingreen said...

Oh and what I'd like to see more of is villain/civilian pairings.

Anonymous said...

Supers could date police or FBI agents, or people in such positions.

Such people would be used to having friends and loved ones in line-of-work peril, so wouldn't freak like Mary Jane.

The main problem with limiting supers to dating supers is that the pool is kinda small, and it risks interfering with teamwork.

Seth T. Hahne said...

If cops, firemen, federal agents, and military personnel can date and marry civilians, I don't see why powers shouldn't be able to. Really, anything realistic situation can be well-written and engaging if only the authors are actually up to the task. And if they aren't, perhaps they should find a story that they are up to.