Sunday, July 23, 2006

Are They Really Making a Guest Appearance?

Or is it some body doubles? I've been trying to decide whether the Astonishing X-Men were portrayed out of character in this week's X-Factor. It's a pretty common tactic, you know, have a guest appearance by other heroes, where they act like jerks and make the stars of the book look good. But I think it really did sort of fit. Peter David called out the utter absurdity of the X-Men choosing to be Switzerland in this whole Registration thing. I mean, I understand when Emma Frost tells Tony Stark or Carol Danvers that "No, we're not going to help you, because where the hell were you when all the mutants in Genosha were being wiped out, or when mutant-haters attacked our home?" Emma's not a nice person, I understand her reacting that way. Hell, I'd react that way, which is kind of depressing to think I have that in common with her.

But even if Cyclops is disillusioned by the revelations of Xavier's dickery in X-Men:Deadly Genesis, he really shouldn't just be publicly doing nothing. So calling him on that makes sense. I originally thought Colossus seemed off, what with his kind of imperious statement that hiding the truth of Decimation is OK because they were doing the right thing, and so they don't have to explain themselves to anyone. Then I remembered that he recently responded to seeing Sebastian Shaw by trying to beat the guy to death, even though that's the last thing you should try to do with Sebastian Shaw. So I guess Colossus being more aggressive is in character right now.

I do wonder about Wolverine's blithe dismissal of the complaint that the X-Men lied to X-Factor. Given the amount of lies and half-truths and deceptions he's been subjected to in his life, you'd think the truth would matter a little more to Wolverine. But, he's also a freaking psychopath, and prone to being an ass, so it's not inconceivable he'd act that way. Plus, he was there looking to fight, so he was probably grumpy he hadn't gotten to try and claw anyone yet.

There were a couple of other things I wanted to mention from that issue, that aren't really related to that. It'd go better if I had a scanner handy, since they're art related, but just trust me OK?

One, the look on Madrox's face when Layla says 'Because someday we'll get married.' I didn't notice it the first time, having been focused on her words, but Jamie's face is a combination of Homer's "D'oh!" look and that face you make when you hear fingernails on the blackboard (provided that isn't the sort of thing that you enjoy).

Two, when Madrox runs into Aegis, and they're running down the streets talking, there's a panel where Aegis is between us and Madrox, and on the tip of Aegis nose is a bead of sweat. I can't really say why, but that little detail really makes me happy. I mean it isn't easy to try and elude SHIELD. You're going to exert yourself, especially if you just got finished stopping a crime, so perspiration is natural.

There is one question I have. Do you think Jamie reabsorbed that one duplicate that was working for SHIELD? The dupe was in the office when Madrox arrived at the end of #8, nowhere in sight at the start of #9. So did he leave, or did Madrox bring him back into the fold?

Well, hopefully my internet will be fixed tomorrow afternoon, so I won't have to keep driving elsewhere to make these posts. Cross your fingers for me.

3 comments:

Ragnell said...

From what I read, that's more in character for Emma than she's been in years.

Marc Burkhardt said...

Sadly, they do seem in character.

More and more, Cyclops is looking pompous and ineffectual. He probably asks Emma if its OK to brush his teeth, then makes a big speech about fluoride ("Don't come to me when your teeth fall out, because I won't be there ...") after she gives her approval.

Although I'm glad the X-men are sitting the Civil War out, because then I can sample Brubaker and Carey's title in relative safety.

CalvinPitt said...

ragnell: Not being too familiar with the character, I'm not the right person to comment. I think the writers have gotten the somewhat unlikeable aspect of her personality down, I'm just not sure they've always conveyed the practical reasons for it well. This time it actually did make sense for her to come off as unfriendly.

fortress: Well, if I can say one good thing has come from this, its that I'm no longer caught in the situation where I dislike Cyclops, but he's just cool enough I have to respect him.