Sunday, July 09, 2006

I've Got Something In A Marvel Style, If You're Interested

Two things not related to the main post. First, there was a quote from The Lincoln Lawyer I especially liked I wanted to share. For the record, despite my poking fun at his "paint-by-numbers" style, I did enjoy the book. There were several "Oh, snap!" moments for me during it. I know, "Oh snap!" is lame, but all the cool catchphrases, such as F#$% Yeah! and You are now freaking out are already taken. Anyway, this quote was thought by Michael Haller, of his first ex-wife: 'Whatever made her happy made me happy - except that time she thought divorcing me would make her life happier. That didn't do much for me.'

I can't say why that amuses me as much as it does. It seems vaguely Woody Allen-ish, and other than Annie Hall, I haven't seen any of his movies, and I didn't love that one. Maybe it's the matter-of-fact way I read it, or that he kind of tosses the exception to the rule in out of nowhere.

Secondly, Naruto is the slowest freaking anime I've ever seen. Look, you're a show starring ninjas, so I expect to see people sneaking around, stealing vital information and killing people silently. Or, since the stars are kids, attempting those things. Failing that, I'll settle for fights. What isn't cool is thirty minutes of two girls emoting and flashing back over their childhood friendship. That could have been done in two minutes! Even Bendis wouldn't have dragged it on as long! AAARGH! OK, I'm good. Ready to move on.

DC doesn't want Cassandra Cain anymore. They are clearly more enamored of this lunatic running around calling herself Cassandra, who tries to beat up Tim - and fails - when she isn't acting just a little too friendly with him, if you get my drift. So fine, they don't want her? I'll find a new place for her to be a hero (or at least an anti-hero). There must be plenty of places for a teenager with ludicrous martial arts skills, and a powerful desire to crush evil, to set up shop.

Scenario #1: Team-up with Captain America. He's had plenty of partners over the years, including one that was originally an enemy (The Falcon, or have they retconned his being someone working for the Red Skull out of his origin?). He'd provide a stong presence in her life, while not being as much of an emotionally distant jackass as her previous mentor. Yeah, he'd probably curb her desire to mete out permanent vengeance, but I'm not opposed to that. Or hell, maybe she could work with The Falcon. He's been around awhile, let him be the voice of experience.

Scenario #2: Join Cable's squad. Based on the covers, it looks like Deadpool's doing some work for the government side, but we've already seen Cable on the rebel side. So either Cable is playing Captain America (possible), or Cable may need another headcracker soon. Besides, he's probably got some way to help speed up her language skills, without costing her those fighting skeelz.

Scenario #3: Cynosure. I think Cassandra could fit in pretty well in Grimjack's world. Granted you can make that case for just about anyone, given the fluxing realities you encounter there, but she strikes me as someone who could have spent time in the Arena like Gaunt and Blackjackmac, or maybe someone he met late in the Demon Wars. Either way she could be an ally, an enemy (as someone who believes in Mayfair and the cadre, and regards Gaunt as barring their way), or someone who never met him at all, her dimension comes in phase with Cynosure, she happens to pass through, they fall out phase, and here she is.

Scenario #4: Maybe she dies and comes back as a soldier of Heaven, hunting down demons and . . . just kidding.

So, your thoughts? Other ideas on where she could wind up? Maybe kicking it with Conan? Please don't tell me Riverdale. If anything is going to drive Cassandra Cain crazy, it would be extended exposure to those twits. Or maybe that's just me.

No comments: