Wednesday, October 03, 2007

What i Bought 10/3/07

All right, it's the week of books I don't call by their actual titles! I don't know whether that's a good thing, or relevant, or anything like that, but it seemed worth noting.

Faith the Vampire Slayer #7 - I have the other cover, but they're both fine. In this issue, Faith experiences complications in her mission to eliminate Gigi, the apparently really dangerous blue blood Slayer. These complications are both internal and external. The external is nice, because it means there's fighting, which is what I'm here for. But the internal is nicer because it contrasts what Faith is versus what others (and she) think she is. Just because you've done some bad things in your time, or been willing to do the dirty jobs others can't, doesn't necessarily mean that you can do yet another dirty job easily. Taking a life isn't something to be done lightly, as Faith understands better than most.

Georges Jeanty's work is still a mixed bag. Some of the facial expressions are outstanding, but at other times it seems like he may have cut a few corners (noses have a tendency to disappear). However, this seems to have most frequently during fights, when the look on a person's face is somewhat less critical, so it's forgivable. Also, I wanted to give a nod to Dave Stewart, the colorist, because during the party, most of the guests blend together, a sea of paisley and muted colors. Faith, pops off the page, with a dark, strong green, that makes her stand out, because she is after all, different from the fops at the party (in many ways). 4.3 out of 5.

Warbird #20 - First: Not enough amusing Aaron Stack moments in this issue. Second: I have no idea who the blue alien with a gun that looks like a reject from a '90s comic is. I'm not sure if Carol recognizes him or not (I think she does). Thirdly: Arana thinks of Carol like a mom?! What? Big sister I would have accepted, mother figure? Stretching it a bit for me.

The Puppet Master loses, naturally, his schemes all for naught. Carol makes a less than heroic choice, and is acting a little oddly. I can't say that in her position, I wouldn't do the same, but I'm not trying to be the "World's Greatest Hero" (for which you should all be extremely thankful). I'm trying to decide whether that personality shift we saw in Carol was too abrupt, and I'm inclined to think it was. Tocchini's art was a bit weak; anything not in the foreground tended to be indistinct, like it was rushed, or the colors or inks washed out some of his lines. I'm not sure which it is. I suppose I should be seriously considering dropping the book, and I suppose I am considering it, which is probably not a good sign. 2.1 out of 5.

Well, that was a bummer of a way to end the post wasn't it? Um, before you leave, I want you to think of cute, fuzzy bunnies. There, that makes you feel better, doesn't it? Now picture them being fed into a lawnmower. Good night everybody.

OK, fine, don't picture them being fed into a lawnmower. See if I care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Ms. Marvel made me want to punch a hole in the wall. I keep arguing with myself if my dislike for Reed's take is my own issues or just that he can't write a strong female protagonist without tearing her down, but it's been a year and a half of Carol trying to be the best and failing every single time. Getting people hurt, failing to save thousands, and now murder and lying. What's Reed trying to say?

This reads like the Batman books at the end of O'Neil's reign, where Huntress was dragged onto the stage to show that no matter how bullying and unethical Batman got in his tactics, Huntress, man, she was WORSE, 'cause she KILLED. Oracle, man, she'd rather KILL the Joker than send him to prison. The women are the only ones willing to make the hard decisions, but the reader is supposed to realize they're the wrong ones.

So I give up. The Carol Danvers I liked would have pulled up from her descent at this point.

Marc Burkhardt said...

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who didn't recognize that blue alien guy.

As far as the murder of Puppet Master goes, it kind of reminded me of a scene from a Golden Age comic. Heroes back then didn't have much compunction to kill - or simply refuse to save - a bad guy.

SallyP said...

Although I do adore Aaron Stack, I'm afraid that I gave up on Ms. Marvel a while ago. Can't say that I've missed it too much.

Besides, right now, I'm wallowing in Green lanterny goodness.

Anonymous said...

The Blue Guy is the alien from the opening story arc I believe. It's been hinted at continously since the opening arc that Carol isn't just "Carol" anymore. Everytime she got in over her head after that opening arc she turned all blueish and something else talked about her as a "construct". I think the Blue guy blew up and Carol inadvertendly absorbed his energy way back then. He's been rebuilding himself inside her and helping her (out of self interest).

I've actually enjoyed this story arc (although my blind love for all things Sleep Walkery could be to blame.) I think, that at the end of the day, Carol is going to realize you don't become the worlds greatest hero by TRYING to become the worlds greatest hero. That she's going to do things that, to others, are unheroic so it's not important as much so long as she feels it's the right thing.

CalvinPitt said...

dan coyle: Yeah, this isn't exactly the Ms. Marvel I was wanting to read about, but maybe it'll turn out whatever is causing the regeneration caused erratic behavior, then she can't get her act together a little more?

fortress keeper: It is very Goldne Age, you're right. I was also thinking of the end of Batman Begins, with the whole 'I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you' scene.

sallyp: Oh, you and your Green Lanterns. At least Aaron didn't do anything particularly noteworthy this issue, besides take sips from his flask.

mallet!: That's right, there was a blue alien in the first arc wasn't there. I hadn't thought of him still being in play some how.

And I completely agree that Carol is learning about how one really winds up being regarded as the world's greatest hero. I think her next step needs to be to drop the public relations lady, since getting on talk shows isn't a good use of her time.

Anonymous said...

no Howard the duck?
it has M.O.D.O.T (AIM just can't resist making giant floating heads).