Friday, April 04, 2008

Nonsensical Spelling Idiocy

I'm getting ready to leave town for about a week. There may be posting, but it'll be as sporadic as it was last week, if it happens at all, so take that for what it's worth.

Before I left though, I wanted to get something off my chest. It's something that annoys me, but the fact it annoys me makes me even more annoyed. For some reason, I get really aggravated when people, while referring to the Green Goblin and assorted family, misspell "Osborn". I'm not usually that much of a spelling jerk. I might notice if someone uses the wrong form of "there/their/they're", but it's not going to lead me to dismiss their points, or want to snark at them about their poor grasp of the English language. But for some reason, people spelling "Osborn" as "Osbourn", "Osborne", or "Osbourne" gets to me. Not enough to call them out in the comments of the post, mind you, but there's always a brief instant where "It's Osborn, you twit!" flashes through my brain. Then I start yelling at myself for getting so damn nitpicky and away we go.

I'm not sure what it is about that particular name. I suppose part of it's just that snooty fanboy, looking down at the people who don't know how to properly spell the last name of one of Spider-Man's greatest foes. Man, I really despise that fanboy part sometimes. The other part might be because "Osbourne" reminds me of former Cardinals pitcher Donovan Osborne, and that guy was a constant source of frustration with his frequent injuries (which always seemed to happen when the Cardinals really needed a healthy, competent pitcher, which Osborne normally qualified as). So perhaps the misspelling is causing my brain to make other connections, leading to associative anger that's not actually related to the spelling in question. Or maybe it's something else.

So there you go. You can mull over that until the next time I post, whenever that winds up being.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Misspellings always drive me nuts too. The only problem is that I usually then make a completely eggregious spelling or grammatical error right after that.

I'm not even sure if I spelled eggregious correctly.

Jason said...

As a former winner of my elementary school's grammar rodeo, I completely understand. I can usually forgive mis-spellings, especially when it's a last name that has multiple spellings, my hang up is when people can't find the shift key on they keyboard. That kills me.

Also, eggregious, when spelled out, looks like something that should be a horrible, cholesterol filled part of McDonald's breakfast menu.

Have a good week.