Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What I Bought 6/11/08

Both the books I purchased this week made me sad, though not in the same way. One of those ways is good, if a touch overdone, the other's more deeply depressing.

Amazing Spider-Girl #21 - Ron Frenz sure does like doing collage covers. At least they tell us something about the issue itself. I'm always in favor of that. Unfortunately, the issue itself doesn't work as well for me. DeFalco is trying real hard to pile the doubts and guilt on May, have her doubting herself, I assume in preparation for her finding out about the little surprise Normie Osborn showed Peter last month. Really, it's just too much, and she's feeling guilt over stuff she has no business feeling guilt over.

Granted, that's part of the Parker Curse, but consider that in this issue, Sara, who was revealed as a mutant back in issue #8, has teamed up with the violent mutants introduced last issue, but she's been followed to the meeting by Spider-Girl and Moose. Sara kayos Moose, then attacks Spider-Girl. May doesn't want to fight, just check on Moose, but Sara attacks her, saying she's lying. When Moose comes to, he starts cheering for Sara to stomp Spider-Girl, and when Spider-Girl defeats Sara with a minimum of force (really, the most Sara has to worry about is some motion sickness), Moose calls her a bully, and May feels bad about how she handled things. The problem with all this is that rather than making me feel bad for May, it's leaving me frustrated with her, wanting someone to tell her to quit trying to take on so much, stop being so worried about hurting other people's feeling (especially people who want you hurt/dead), or not meeting other's expectations. Maybe that's the point, that may needs to learn that, but I'm getting a little disgusted with her, and I'm considering dropping the book.

Booster Gold #10 - Confession: I don't understand how what happens at the end of the issue resolves the temporal/alternate reality problem our heroes faced. That's the kind of thing I'm always worried about when it comes to time travel. At least I know why all the big baddies were listening to Booster's dad. Should have expected that, but I never was much good at unraveling mysteries. I whole-heartedly agree with Mr. Miracle though: I don't like time-traveling Nazis, either.

All in all, not a good day for Booster. Just nothing going right. The end of the issue was very sad, but again, I'm not really sure how it solves the problems they had. Also, I'm not sure where that scarab that appears at Booster's feet on the 3rd to last page came from. It couldn't belong to the Black Beetle, he's still all carapaced up. And how did we get so many "last sons of Venus"? Asexual reproduction? I wonder if this story is teaching Booster to make the hard choices, that you can't save everyone. I suppose that's true, even in superhero comics, but I kind of enjoy it when the hero figures out how to save everyone, rather than having to pick. Like at the end of Spider-Man, he saves MJ and the cable car full of passengers. I really liked that, but maybe the success don't mean as much to the reader without the failures?

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I believe that is exactly what DeFalco is working toward. Ever since ASG #1 - at the very least - May has tried to be everything to everyone and has failed miserably.

Perhaps the presence of a second May - or is it the original one? - will enable our heroine to find a better sense of self-worth, or at least as much of one as a soap opera/super-hero comic will allow.

SallyP said...

I never would have guessed that the one behind everything in Booster Gold was...who it was. And yet, it all makes such sense! My guess is that the appearance of the scarab, and the blinding light etc, will all be explained anon.

I have to admit that I did like the bit with Braniac and the Legion ring. Figures. Heh.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: That sounds about right. I think it would help if she would quit adding stuff to her plate. I thought she'd found some balance there for a bit, but it seems like she's back to having too much on her plate, and that's when she starts worrying about letting everybody down.

sallyp: Geez, I completely missed the flight ring falling in the time sphere! Actually when I read your comment, I thought you meant they stole Brainy's ring off his finger, because they know Booster'll need one, and I thought the ring provided the force field, and well, anyway, it's a good thing you mentioned it, or I'd have never noticed.