Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What I Bought 6/25/08

Marvel released so many comics this week, and I purchased so few of them. I was surprised to see Ultimates 3 #4 had come out, I'd almost forgotten about it. In other news, uh, there is no other news, so let's move along.

Immortal Iron Fist #16 - Brubaker's already gone, and this is it for Messers. Fraction and Aja. So sad. Most of the issue revolves around decisions that Danny's made based on what he learned about K'un-L'un. Decisions about his company, his wealth, his friends, stuff like that. I'll be interested to see whether the "Danny helps the less fortunate" stuff still appears from time to time after this issue, or if it'll just get dropped due to emphasis on face-kicking and intrigue. I love face-kicking and intrigue, but it's always a little bit of a bummer to see some aspect of a character's personal life introduced, then quickly shoved into the background. I'm not saying I need a scene devoted to Danny helping the homeless, or ordering the construction of medical labs, but maybe once an arc or so would be nice. Of course, I've got no idea how much oncoming writer Duane Swierczynski has collaborated with Fraction/Brubaker, if at all.

I wouldn't have thought it possible when the series began, but I'm really going to miss David Aja on the art. He can make Iron Fist look so dangerous, but Danny so sloppy, goofy, and a little unkempt, it's a lovely contrast. Plus, we get to see Fat Cobra wearing spectacles, tie, and conservative business garb. And, I'm pretty sure Fraction and Brubaker cameo in one panel. Quesada as well, though I'm uncertain who the skinny fellow with glasses standing next to him is. Maybe Aja himself? The sequence where Danny meditates by himself is very nicely done, moving from one image to the next fairly smoothly.

It's a mostly quiet issue, no big explosions, though at least one metaphorical bombshell. It perhaps feels a little too heavily of "setting the table for the next guy", but if that allows Swierczynski to hit the ground running, it'll be just fine. That's been my issue with Cable when I've looked through it: I don't feel it conveying the urgency I expect from Cable trying his damnedest to protect that baby from an obsessed Bishop. Maybe it comes through on a more intensive reading, but that's a concern for next month. For this month, things were pretty good.

Young Avengers Presents: Hawkeye #6 - Eh, I figured with such a small week, why not? Alan Davis art, Clint Barton using a bow, worth a shot. I was primarily interested in Clint's interest in testing Kate's skills. I think that mostly served to teach Kate something important: Never, ever, tell Clint Barton he 'can't make that shot.' This is flippin' Hawkeye we're talking about, his whole career is about making that shot, then bragging about it to incredulous onlookers. It's why we love him so. As you might expect, he makes the shot, and Kate gets burned as a result. I laughed. It's not very nice of me, but you don't respect your elders, and this is what comes of it.

I don't really know much about Kate Bishop, so I don't know if this was an accurate portrayal of her, compared to past appearances, but the point seemed largely to be about getting a bit more Clint Barton personality into her. Kate's very concerned with not making the wrong move, to the point she won't make any. She goes to the edge, then retreats. Well, "Hawkeye" is not about doing things halfway, right? If it was, then a person with just a bow and some hand-to-hand skills doesn't get to fight alongside Thunder Gods and people with armor that can level skyscrapers. It's not always a good thing, since it causes one to decide to grab a jetpack, and fly headlong into a starship, but I think Kate's calm enough to avoid that. So the issue is partially about that, and partially about one of the vets giving the newbies some support. I guess most of both the Mighty and New Avengers squads have been adamant about shutting down these kids, and it was time for someone who understands dealing with others' doubts to give them a vote of confidence.

As to the art, it's Alan Davis, and I like Alan Davis' style. it's very smooth. I like that when Kate's in the carriage with Eli, he's decked out in a suit and tie, and she's wearing, well, it's not too different from what she wore when she was punching the heavy bag. It's much more casual, definite "we're just two friends", at least compared to Eli. Poor guy. Wonder if he went to talk the the Winter Captain after that evening? Also, there's a dress she wears later, I think it's a riff of that outfit Clint wore, with the skirt? Only with the classic Hawkeye colors. The "H" on the belt is a nice touch. I also like how Clint hefts the arrows and the bow. I know exactly zilch about archery, but I guess he's testing their balance, or their weight. I don't know if that's something you normally do, but it seemed like a nice touch. Heck Alan Davis draws so nicely, I'm actually cool with Ninja Hawkeye, which is not something I expected to be saying anytime soon.

So that's that. How were your comics?

5 comments:

Jason said...

Pretty much, no matter how good Swierczynski's run is on Iron Fist, I'm still going to miss Brubaker/Fraction/Aja, etal.

The What If Mike Wieringo tribute issue was really good. Aside from the fact that I've always loved Wieringo's work, but Jeff Parker is a buy-on-site writer for me these days.

Final Crisis is really shaping up to be something. The first two issues are like the opening moments of the horror movie, right before the heroes figure out how much wrong everything has gone. Good stuff.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: I think some of the concepts I've seen in Final Crisis are cool, like the bullet fired backwards through time, but it feels like something I'll need to read all of at one time to understand.

SallyP said...

The fig newtons were a nice touch, I thought.

Gosh, there sure were a LOT of Marvel books out this week. I have to say that Thor: Reign of Blood was fabulous. And I'm still trying to figure out if I love Final Crises, or am just horrified by it.

Jason said...

You know, I'm going to have to go back and get that Thor book, I loved Fraction's last Thor special. I think I almost prefer the "series of specials" concept their doing instead of an on-going series or even a mini.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Yeah, there were a couple of guys at the store that picked up 30 books just from this week. Crazy.

jason: It sure seems like Marvel's doing a lot of those lately, between Thor, the Iron Fist one, Daredevil had one earlier this year, they seem to be constantly putting out some for Wolverine. What could that be about?