Thursday, November 06, 2008

And Then Bane Said, "My Enthusiasm? Baseball"

I noticed that of the three comics I had from last week, two of them incorporated quotes (somewhat modified) from The Untouchables*

Bloodrayne: Tokyo Rogue #3 had Rayne 'Never bring a knife to a gun fight.' They wisely excluded the racial slur Connery uttered. Besides, she wasn't fighting someone Italian, so even if she'd said it, it wouldn't have fit. Of course, her opponents were using swords, and her attempts to shoot them were met with the bullets being cut in half, so maybe you can bring a bladed weapon to a gun fight after all. If your reflexes are fast enough. I did like that it didn't work as she expected, inverted the circumstances of that abbreviated fight between Indiana Jones and the sword guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Then Immortal Iron Fist #19 had Luke ansaying 'I get it. He pulls a 12 year old, you pull a Fat Cobra', and Danny responding 'That's the New York way'. Which I think teaches us that more people should resort to using children in their fights**, because then their opponents will use Fat Cobra, and we need more Fat Cobra, don't we? I don't think it means anything, but I figured I might as well mention it.  

* Also known as one of only 3 Kevin Costner movies I actually will watch. No, Field of Dreams is not one of the other two. Can't believe Sports Illustrated put that piece of touchy feely crap at the top of their Greatest Sports Movies list, but The Natural couldn't even make the Top 50. Stupid Frank Deford and his claims it's overly mystical. May Tasmanian Devils establish nesting burrows in his lungs. 

** Note: I do not actually endorse using children as weapons. Unless they attacked you first, and you're using one of them as a blunt instrument to beat the others, because in that case, the little bastards started it, so they have it coming.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Let's see, No Way Out and Bull Durham as being the other two Kostner flicks? Other alternates: Silverado and A Perfect World.

Anyway, I would totally buy a Fat Cobra mini-series. That dude is the character find of 2007.

Matthew said...

Man, I loves me some Costner. I am not ashamed to say that our home houses a copy of The Postman.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: The 2nd and 4th ones you mentioned, though to be fair A Perfect World is probably more about Eastwood than it is Costner, though I did enjoy Costner playing a bad guy.

matthew: I've never seen the Postman. I'd heard it was a good concept, less than stellar execution, but I might have to give it a whirl some day. Just have to add it to the list, I suppose.

Jason said...

I'd advise leaving the Postman until you're sick sometime. There's some good stuff there, but not enough to justify the 3 hour running time.

Also, no love for Silverado? Gosh I love that movie (though it's not really a Costner movie per se).

SallyP said...

No no, the perfect Costner movie is Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. I find that if you fast/forward through all the Kevin parts, you can spend much more time with Alan Rickman.

Mmmmmmm...Alan Rickman!