Sunday, December 21, 2008

It Would Fit With Killer Whale Raiders

The "astronaut god" that is responsible for the current Terra's home and the life under the surface of the earth, is it a new addition to the DC Universe?

It doesn't matter, it just sounds like the sort of thing Kirby would have thrown into one of his stories*, and DC's been big on bringing his concepts and characters out the last few years (for better or worse), so I wondered whether this was an old concept revived and added back into the fabric of the DCU, or something new.

I can see Kamandi coming across a civilization built around and worshipping the remains. Sure, it's buried now, but the Great Disaster created an entirely new continent, so it isn't out of the question the tectonic upheaval would push the remains back up to the surface, or close enough that other natural processes would unearth it.

I'm a little unclear on how the subterranean life came about though. So, there were raw materials for life present undergorund, same as on the Earth's surface, but this mixed with the "lifeblood" of the astronaut god. Thus life underground is different on a genetic level, beyond all the basic structural differences one would need to survive the pressures and temperatures underground. So were the remains bleeding out through the coccoon, or did the basic building blocks present udnerground somehow make it inside the coccoon. I'm guessing the latter, since they said Strata is built at least partially inside the astronaut god.

These are the things I use to occupy my thoughts.

* Though I'm probably thinking of that Dreaming Celestial that was part of his Eternals work for Marvel.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I can honestly say that all of that didn't occur to me, but it was still a good book.

Oh, by the way...too bad about the Arizona/New England game.

Heh heh heh.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Arizona/New England game? I'm sure I have no recollection of what you're talking about, oh wait. . .

*curses in general direction of Arizona for next 2 hours*