Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Last Holdout Falls

I think I mentioned during last week's reviews that Amazing Spider-Girl #30 is going to be it for me and the life and times of Mayday Parker for awhile. If you count Amazing Spider-Girl as the continuation of Spider-Girl (and I do, so Amazing Spider-Girl #30 is basically Spider-Girl #130), I've been buying it for 90 issues (somewhere around Spider-Girl #40, geez, that's seven years ago).

I am a little curious about what's going to happen with the May that was in the tube, now that she's living with the Parkers. I'm guessing she's being passed off as a niece that's come to stay with the family*. How's she going to interact with the Parkers, looking like their daughter, and especially with Pete, who's openly stated he's not sure about letting her stay with them. Is she going to do any web-slinging? How is being part symbiont going to affect her? How much programming is left in her head from Norman Osborn? Can she lead a (relatively) normal life, like Mayday? Those are things I'd be interested in, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd like the ideas more than the execution**.

Anyway, the point of this post, to the extent there was one, was that I was feeling a bit nostalgic. See, (Amazing) Spider-Girl was the last book left on my pull list from when I started the blog. Go ahead, check it). One by one***, the titles fell by the wayside. Spider-Girl's been all alone since I bailed on The Punisher last fall. I suppose I could switch to Amazing Spider-Man Family, but that's 5 bucks. I know, it's 64 pages, but if I'm not interested in the other features, then its $5 for just the Spider-Girl stuff. Or maybe I'm just burned out on the character right now. It's been known to happen.

So I'm gonna raise a glass to the book****. The last year wasn't as much fun as some of the earlier times, but I did get a lot of enjoyment out of the title, with some of the goofy new villains, making the Hobgoblin back into a serious threat, making me care about the Venom symbiote, that story where DeFalco used some of the Avengers (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Scott Lang) Bendis torched in Disassembled when DeFalco's Avengers needed some temporary support. Cheers.

* Which reminds me: The last time I checked, Peter told Mayday that Ben Reilly was his cousin through Aunt May's family, who wound up with spider-powers due to some crazy scientist. Apparently Pete deemed the clone thing too odd to get into. Now that Mayday's has a clone, or is one herself, is Pete going to revisit that and tell the whole truth?

** I think that was one of my problems with Amazing Spider-Girl the last year or so, that I might have liked the concepts, but not how they played out in the book.

*** Except for that week in June of '06, when I dropped Robin and New Avengers simultaneously. That was really cathartic, purging those two pains in my ass.

**** Hmm, I'm raising glasses pretty frequently these days. Could I be using comics as an excuse for my drinking problem? No, I just love soda, that's all. But I don't need it, no sir.

No comments: