Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Trying To Sort My Thoughts On Batgirl

I can't decide how interested I am in this Batgirl series that starts in August. I'm not familiar with the writer's (Bryan Q. Miller) work (I think the total of my Smallville watching came when I once flipped by it and saw James Marsters was on the show, and I watched the remainder of the episode), or artist Lee Garbett's, either. He has some pages from his work on the current Outsiders series up on his blog, but they're in black and white, and color can make a difference, so I'm sure I can judge (and there's no dialogue, so I can't tell how well his art's working with Tomasi's writing). Plus, I don't know who this Batgirl is.

I know Dan Didio said Cass Cain wasn't going to be part of the Bat-Family post-Battle for the Cowl, but I trust Didio roughly as far as I trust Quesada, which is, suffice it to say, not very far a' tall. It might not make a huge amount of sense, after all the twists they put Cass through since they cancelled her last series, to wind up 3.5 years later, with Cass Cain as Batgirl in a new ongoing series, but I'm game. If the stories in between are a concern, that they somehow, I don't know impede the idea of Cass as a hero, well, I'm prepared to ignore them. For the greater good, you see*.

Besides, DC could always say this was a back-to-basics approach to the character, and wipe that stuff off the board themselves. They have the perfect excuse: they just had a Crisis that wrapped up a few months ago, right? I'm sure of that. Red skies, Darkseid dying something like 4 times, Superman singing, Batman using a gun, the New-Earth universe collapsing in on itself. They started the whole universe over at the end, didn't they? If so, then it's never been easier to just sweep some of those contentious earlier character developments under the rug!

OK, that's probably not happening, and it's probably not Cass, and I'm OK with that, really. I am. Mostly**. Batgirl being Cass would make me more likely to buy the book, but I can still see myself giving it a whirl regardless. I think I'm going to be able to go to the store the week it comes out, so I suppose I can make a decision then.

I wonder how long they plan to keep Batgirl's identity a secret? Is it just to build suspense and interest for the first issue, and we'll find out then? Or will that be the focus of the first arc, "Who is Batgirl?", that sort of thing?

* Heck, I already do ignore everything Cass has appeared in since her series ended, with the exception of the Chuck Dixon written Batman and the Outsiders issues. It helps.

** She doesn't have to be Batgirl to still be a hero. As long as she's not back to Crazy/Angry Daddy Issues Killer Girl, the identity she runs under is really secondary, I suppose. As you may recall, I never warmed to the crazed killer/evil turn. Smacked of predestination. "Your mom is a killer, your dad's a killer, so you'll be a killer! So it is written!" That's kind of grim and fatalistic. Damned before you even start.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Maybe it's finally time for that 'Gotham Angel' idea of Gail Simone's to be dug up.

Seangreyson said...

Well who would be Batgirl besides Cass? Oracle's still in a wheel chair and Batman vetoed Huntress as Batgirl during No Man's Land. If Spoiler's still alive again, she could probably do it (she was Robin after all).

Other than that are there any other female Gothamites whose own super-hero id's could be discarded to become Batgirl?

Completely unconnected to this: So I was reading the Sunday funnies today that someone left at work. Apparently they tried to split up MJ and Peter in the daily comic strip as well.

This seems to have been so unpopular that Marvel did a giant cop out, and Sunday's strip had Pete waking up from a dream, and still being married to MJ. Don't know any of the details because I haven't read the strip in a while but that just made me laugh.

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: I remember hearing about that. I'd definitely give it a shot.

seangreyson: Well, I've heard some people mention the Calculator's daughter (who was that Wendy character in Teen Titans), because she was in the recent Oracle mini-series, but I can't see her being able to handle the physical aspect of the job right now.

Spoiler's still there as a possibility, and there's Misfit, who originally called herself Batgirl, and had been taken under Barbara Gordon's wing in Birds of Prey. Or they could go with someone completely new.

I'd heard about the newspaper strip pulling the "it was all a dream" stunt. I'm kind of surprised enough people read the comic strip to get that changed, honestly. When i used to have access to a paper, I barely even glanced at it.