Saturday, May 09, 2009

A X-Men Related Divergence

I'm a bit too tired for the more introspective post I had planned for today, so it'll have to wait for tomorrow. For tonight, something a bit easier for me.

Was there any explanation for Mastermind's increased mental capabilities back in the '80s? His power was pretty much limited to casting illusions. Really, incredibly believable illusions, but illusions nonetheless. So how did he put the kibosh on Wolverine's wedding?

Mariko was taking a moment for quiet reflection beforehand, Wyngarde appears (mostly off-panel), they chat a bit, he wanders off, Mariko snaps out of a sort of trance, and hurries off to her wedding. But once she arrives, she calls the whole thing off, and tells Logan it's because he isn't worthy*.

That doesn't sound like illusion casting, so much as hypnotic suggestion, the sort of thing you'd expect of a high-level telepath, like Xavier or Emma Frost. So how did Mastermind pull it off? And why did he do it? What does he gain from breaking up Wolverine's wedding?

OK, so he might want revenge on the X-Men for Dark Phoenix breaking his mind back in the day. But wouldn't it be easier if they're scattered? If the X-Men go home after the wedding, and Wolverine stays behind, then you can pick him off when he has no backup. Just seems like good common sense to me.

Also, did Wolverine ever find out it was Wyngarde who did nixed his wedding? I have to think he would have eviscerated him if he had, and personally, I think it would have been proper. I know Mastermind asked Jean Grey's forgiveness for what he did to her**, I think he owed Logan an explanation as well.

* Which makes Logan cry.

** He was dying of the Legacy Virus, and I guess he was feeling the weight of past misdeeds.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

As I recall, she was also snookered into allying her family with the Hand, or something. I don't think that they ever DID explain the whole reasoning behind it.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I know her dad was working with the Hand in the Claremont/Miller Wolverine mini-series, and yeah, I think her breaking that off after Logan offed her dad was one of the pre-wedding problems they had to deal with. Can't remember if Mastermind was shown to be working with them.

Maybe it was just one of those unresolved Claremont plotlines.