Monday, May 31, 2010

Ranting, Nit-Picky Movie Talk, Yes, I'm Back

That was not the worst weekend ever, but it was not the best. Up to Sunday, Alex was really enjoying himself, and I had a good time as well, occasionally. The pool was nice, the midnight boat cruise around the lake was beautiful, the music was good (if I was at a distance, since it was quite loud). Most of the other partygoers were swell folks, and it was amusing to learn of their tales of panic when the police showed up on noise complaints two nights in a row, drug-sniffing dogs in tow. I did get tired of the people trying to pressure me to smoke or drink. Chirst, we're in our 20s, aren't we past that bullshit? If a guy doesn't want to drink then maybe leave him the fuck alone about it, all right?

While I'm complaining, I wish Alex would learn to plan ahead. He didn't have enough money when he was done with work, but didn't remember until we reached the bank he didn't have his checkbook, so back to his house for that. Money retrieved, we return to his apartment to begin loading equipment and luggage, and he needs ice to preserve his protein drinks. He knows these drinks are highly perishable, he told me himself. Did he buy ice ahead of time, or think to make lots of ice in the freezer? Of course not. Then once we started out, we had to turn around because he forgot to pack a shirt he really wanted to wear, so back we went. He's a big-picture person I guess, and I'm the details guy.

I did learn when I sit quietly observing scenery, the look on my face makes people believe I am on something. Don't know what that means, but it was a question I fielded more than once over the weekend. Anyway, I did have fun, rants in the previous paragraphs aside. it's just some of it was my kind of fun, walking around, exploring stores, reading. I am dreading the week ahead, though. I don't feel like there's much in the tank at the moment.

We left yesterday afternoon, and back at his place, I got to watch several movies, plus a new episode of the Boondocks. Alex missed it all because he fell asleep at 9 p.m., a consequence of not sleeping at all Saturday night or during the day Sunday. I watched Pandorum, though not closely enough to decide if it was as good as the trailers had made me hope it was. Parts of it said yes, other parts said no, but that might be me missing bits of information because I was reading the Mini-Marvel Ultimate Collection at the same time. Or was I also watching Charlie Bartlett? The movies all blur together after a while.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was on, and for the first time I can recall, I wondered why no one stopped Judge Doom from killing that toon shoe. The cop talking to Eddie clearly knew what the Dip was and what it could do, and the shoe did nothing wrong. The Judge outright murdered a shoe that's only offense was nuzzling the wrong guy's ankle. It certainly establishes him as an evil man, but the fact he was willing to do it was enough, wasn't it? Then again, I wasn't real happy when Alex' sister's cat kept coming near me last night, meowing and rubbing against stuff. That was because Alex discerned from its actions it must be in heat and hell if I knew what it would do if it got close, but maybe the shoe was in estrus. I didn't kill it, but I told it quite plainly to stay away from me, so maybe I'm a bad guy too. Would confirm some long held suspicions of mine.

That isn't where I expected that to go.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was running concurrently and all I could think was that for giant machine designed to wage war, they are not very good at killing tiny, frail humans. I mean, it took a lot of work for them to nearly kill Sam, or kill him only to have him saved by whatever it was that saved him. So many wasted shots. Where are their highly advanced auto-tracking targeting systems?

Like I said, I had a chance to do some reading over the weekend, book discussion tomorrow.

No comments: