Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hit The Hero With More Of The Same, Or Mix It Up?

When two villains team up, do you think it's more interesting or less if they share a shtick?

I figured after yesterday's "I hate Batman! *incoherent growling noises*" post, I'd try for something more lighthearted. So I was originally planning to propose a team-up between the Blimpmaster (from Batgirl #12), and Baron Von Zeppelin (From Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet). I mean, Steph's a full-fledged Bat-person now, it's past time she get involved in the truly crazy stuff that entails, including space zeppelins and teaming up with space truckers who possess a "truckopathic" link with their rig.

Then I thought it wouldn't work because two guys, who each rely on lighter-than-air crafts would kind of be stepping on each others' toes. So I thought maybe it'd be better to pair the Blimpmaster with some submarine-using bad guy, but I couldn't really think of one. Then I considered bringing Spider-Woman's old foe Turner D. Century out for that retro charm, but I'm starting to think two dirigible-themed villains is sounding pretty good.

Like a lot of things, it would all be about the execution, but it feels like villains with similar styles would be more likely to be rivals than allies. One villains would think the other ripped them off, there'd be accusations, and then they're competing. Which can work as a story, but it's not really a villain team-up. If they have differing approaches, then there might be less conflict between them, and it diversifies the threats the heroes face some.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Or if they are from opposite genders! A team-up between Mister Freeze and the second Killer Frost in the pages of the OYL-era Firestorm: The Nuclear Man went pretty well given their, ahem, 'compatibility' (he needs a sub-zero environment to survive, she can - and had to - absorb heat energy from the surrounding environment).

CalvinPitt said...

Matthew: That's definitely a good one. I like that compatibility aspect. it makes me think I should have examined the Vulcan/Deathbird relationship more closely. Although in that case, it was their hatred for their siblings that probably made it work.

"I hate my brothers!" "Well I hate my sister!" "We have so much in common. Let's make out, then go kill our siblings. Then we can kill my brother's father figure (Xavier), who is also your sister's boyfriend. Whee"