Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Quick Post On Some Cartoons

This is a month late, but I've been meaning to mention I tried watching the pilot of Young Justice. I haven't read the series, so there's no particular nostalgia factor, but DC cartoons in my lifetime have a pretty good track record, so I figured it'd be worth checking out.

I wound up disinterested. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes marathon that was running on the next channel up probably didn't help, as that seemed much more exciting and funny. I'd watch YJ for a few minutes, decide I still wasn't interested in the proceedings, and switch back to Avengers.

Part of that was probably because I'm more of a Marvel fan, so even though I'm not a huge fan of any of the Avengers I saw, I still have more fondness for them than any of the Young Justice crew. That the pilot for YJ was focused on Superboy's origins didn't help, since I've never been interested in Superboy. Not liking the pilot isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me, since I recall it took awhile for Justice League to grow on me (again, not being all that fond of any of the characters didn't help). So once the cast is established, and the story hits it's stride, maybe it'll work better. On its own, the pilot did nothing for me.

I'm disappointed they didn't get the entire team in the mix over the course of the pilot. I saw one of the people involved said they felt if Miss Martian had been a bigger part of the episode, it would have made characterization harder, because it would have been another character to address. Now presumably they can work with her in later episodes. It's not as though they have to go in-depth on all the characters in the first episode. Just give us a broad outline of them now, enough to distinguish them from each other, then flesh it out in subsequent episodes. I feel like Teen Titans and Justice League were both able to handle that. I'm not sure if Avengers is a fair comparison, since there were those pre-episodes that each focused on a specific character (or characters in the case of the Wasp and Giant-Man). If you saw those, you could say they were used to establish characterization before the team was put together. Still, I felt the fight with Graviton gave some idea of what made each member tick, then that was expanded upon later.

OK, I'm leaving town. Again. Theoretically, there will be posts over the next week. Probably not everyday, but at least some days. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Mobile Discos said...

Love it I am over 30 and still read comics, Marvel for me was always better than DC but still well overspend on both :) Keep reading and updating us