Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Perhaps I Should Avoid TV For The Rest Of December

Did anyone else watch Eureka last night? I thought they overdid it on the Christmas spirit. Which isn't unusual for this time of year, but I'm sure I've watched Christmas episodes of other shows I liked where I didn't mind it. If the episode had been about the size-changing problem, and some other subplot, I'd have enjoyed it more. The "Secret Santa" stuff, and especially the remnant of the hydrogen crystal glowing in the sky felt tedious. Maybe with more subtlety it wouldn't feel so obnoxious, but "subtle" wasn't in the building.

I think it was by design, since the episode was framed as a story Sheriff Carter was telling some depressed kids, and he was clearly trying to sell them on the Christmas spirit. At the end of the episode, the story was described as 'too sappy' by one, and another complained of having a cavity. That could be the writers admitting they know it's overdone, but they did it on purpose. Which is swell, but it doesn't make it more enjoyable.

I did like the idea of Taggert trying to replicate Santa's feats with science funny, but it didn't have to be Santa*. He could have been trying to deduce the secret behind the Tooth Fairy, as Sheriff Carter alluded to.

* If I were a super-scientist I'd be trying like crazy to give myself spider-powers.

No comments: