Saturday, March 26, 2011

Maybe Danny's Better At His Secret Identity Than I Thought.

There was something that surprised me in Power Man and Iron Fist #2, but it took a month to sink in. At the end of the issue, as we're about to meet Pokerface, one of his minions* mentions that Danny Rand has applied to attend the auction. The minion is concerned because intel suggests Danny is Iron Fist.

What surprises me is that based on how he says it, Danny actually has a secret identity. That it may be suspected he's Iron Fist, but it isn't known for certain, the way people know Tony Stark is Iron Man**. But it's accurate, at least in this mini-series. Vic's mom doesn't seem to know her son works for Iron Fist, so I guess he does have a secret identity.

I suppose it surprises me because I've started picturing Danny as being kind of like Kyle Rayner. Nice guy, friendly, sweet, heroic, but a little careless about things like secret identities. I feel like it wasn't any sort of a secret in the Ostrander Heroes for Hire series (too lazy to figure out where those particular issues are at the moment), and considering all the trouble his company had, with HYDRA and being bought out from under him, and his being a fugitive Avenger post Civi War and Dark Reign. Stark, or Osborn, or Gyrich, one of those dorks would have thrown it out to the public to make his life difficult. Plus, he seems like a bad liar. Couldn't bluff Jerwyn at all about using his expense account to fund Luke's Avengers during the Brubaker/Fraction stuff.

It does seem like lots of people know, though. That El Aguila guy knew from before Danny walked in the room. I guess when considered as a percentage of the world's total population, the vast majority still don't know. It just so happens the few people who do are major players in his life.

* I'm highly intrigued by those minions. What are they? Probably robots, but the way the float, with their coattails fluttering behind them makes me think of ghosts. Ghost minions would be pretty cool.

** Excepting the times when Jim Rhodes is Iron Man, or when Tony makes everyone forget he's Iron Man.

No comments: