Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Would Citizens Of Gotham Notice A Difference If The Doom Patrol Moved In?

Hi. Sorry about the lack of posts the last two days, but I was traveling again. I really must finish that personal teleportation device to save myself time. I did manage to stop by the store today and pick up my comics. Jack put Doom Patrol #20 in there, I'm guessing he had it confused with last month's issue, the Secret Six crossover.

I flipped through it before putting it back, to confirm whether it was the issue I wanted or not, and I came across Batman giving Negative Man a ride to the outskirts of Gotham. The Doom Patrol are trying to find a place to stay, and sent Negative Man there to ask Bats if they could set-up in his town. He said no. Among his reasons was he feels the DP mostly deal with attacks against them, rather than actual threats to others, and Gotham doesn't need that on top of everything else. When Negative Man queried whether it would be accurate to say most crime in Gotham is attacks against Batman, Batsy's response was "No." Then he drove off.

What do you think? What percentage of crime in Gotham do criminal schemes against Batman comprise? I'd say almost all of the big stuff has to be about the Bat, because who would be stupid enough to take on a massive criminal enterprise in Gotham, when they could pick a different large town with a less competent (and less numerous) vigilantes? OK, so there are lots of loonies in Gotham, who apparently like being criminals there, so maybe it's lower than I think. Still, in terms of destroying the city, polluting the water supply, or generally racking up large body counts, I'd say 77%.

There's all the other crime, though. I can't recall how the exchange went exactly, so Batman may have been referring only to super-villain type crime, which would exclude most of this. But for the heck of it, lets throw it in. The muggings, insurance fires, domestic disturbances and so on. That's probably a lot more numerous (there only being so many lunatic super-villains), and while individually they don't match Ivy's latest attempt to tear down Wayne Tower with trees, they add up. In that case, the amount of criminal activity that's directly related to striking at Batman is probably closer to 3%, or some other comparatively low figure. Can't be higher than 10%, though the percentage of financial damage to the city (in repairs, lost revenue through lower tourism or businesses not being open because they have to be scrubbed clean of Joker gas)is probably higher. Maybe 23%? I'm really just pulling numbers out of the air, it's more about what they are relative to each other, I suppose. The percentage might go up if we add attacks on other members of the Bat-family, but a fair number of those seem to wind up being the villain wanting to hurt Batman by killing a protege.

No comments: