Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What I Bought 6/25/2011 - Part 4

There were two other books I ordered Jack seems to have forgotten about, namely Flashpoint: Secret Seven and Fear Itself: Fearsome Four. I don't mind either of those not showing up. I saw enough reviews online to convince ordering either one was a mistake. I read two different reviewers describe Nighthawk's portrayal in Fearsome Four as being the Goddamn Batman. I don't even want to read Batman acting like the Goddamn Batman, I have zero interest in Nighthawk behaving that way. With Secret Seven, I heard George Perez didn't draw the whole thing, so what's the point? Also, while I have nothing against Shade, the Changing Man or Peter Milligan, I'm not a huge fan that must purchase all related works. That'll teach me to show any interest in ancillary mini-series of big events.

Mystery Men #1 & 2 - I was originally going to review the books alphabetically, like usual, but I figured since I had the first two issues, it made sense to touch on them both together. I'm surprised I like that cover. It's just a group of characters against a dark background, but the way they're all partially obscured gives it more mystery, more style.

It's New York in 1932. We meet Dennis Piper, who robs the rich to help the poor as the Operative. Piper's girlfriend Alice, an aspiring actress, is killed by a mysterious General, who seems to have Shadow-like powers. The murder was committed in the service of a fear god, who also has great interest in an amulet the General has an archeologist searching for. Piper is framed for Alice's murder, but assisted by a mysterious vigilante called the Revenant. Alice's sister also turns up, unwilling to be relegated to the sidelines by the old-fashioned Operative (Revenant seems to have no problems with her taking part in the investigation).

I can't remember why I decided to order this. Maybe it was David Liss as author, since he wrote The Devil's Company, which I reviewed back in January. It doesn't matter, I've enjoyed this a lot so far. I don't really know much about pulp heroes, which most of these characters seem to be, but I've found them interesting, each with their own reasons for what they do, and their own skills, each with their own interests when it comes to who they help and how. The inclusion of a fear god seems a little out of place amongst the dirty cops and mysterious power brokers profiting from the Depression, but it does add an interesting supernatural flavor to a story that mostly features street-level or science-based characters so far (I'm not sure whether the Revenant has magic powers, or is just good at making it seem like he does).

Patrick Zircher is the artist, and it's been awhile since I read a book he illustrated (the early issues of Cable/Deadpool, I think). There are certain things that look familiar about his work, but I think he's more minimalist now, fewer lines except when necessary, and thicker linework at that. The characters seem to stand out noticeably from the backgrounds. he prefers capturing the moment after an action as well. We see Piper in mid-air after he's gone through a window, or a cop's head recoiling after the punch connected. It presents the action, but in a matter of fact way, "it was going to happen, it did, let's keep going". Andy Troy's colors have been pretty good. Some of the shadows he uses, lights only seeming to illuminate what's important, or Revenant's fog effect, all very well done.

if I were to voice a concern, it's that we're 40% of the way through the mini-series, and there are still "Mystery Men" to be introduced. I worry things may grind to a halt to fit the others in, or they'll be given so little time as to be pointless. But so far the plot's been advancing as we've met the characters, so I'll trust that Liss and Zircher have it under control.

No comments: