Thursday, June 09, 2011

Whatever Era He's In, He Makes A Statement

There's a storm rolling in, so let's do this quickly. In honor of the Annihilators facing Immortus' Army of the Ages, who has the worst fashion sense: Kang, Immortus, or Rama-Tut? I thought of this after reading Quasar's proclamation that even as powerful as they were, they were completely outclassed. I had to think, "Are you serious? That guy outclasses you? He looks like a dork! Man, it doesn't matter what version of himself it is, Kang can't dress to save his life." And here were are.

Kang has those hugely oversized sleeves, but I have to credit a guy who mixes green, purple, and blue in such large quantities. He's not trying to blend in. I like the mask actually. Especially when it's drawn with the vertical lines on the front. It's kind of an unusual touch, but it helps lend a distinctive air to it. Not that the outfit needs more distinction, but you don't get to call yourself "the Conqueror" by doing things halfway. The shirt not being tucked into his pants, but still going under the belt, is a minus (and one we'll see again). Perhaps I'm just anti-fake skirts, which is what it looks like to me. Fortunately, he's sporting thigh-high purple boots, which draw the eye away. They minimize the skirt effect on Kang more than Immortus can manage, as well shall see, so that's a plus.

I imagine there are plenty of ladies and fellas who approve of Rama-Tut's disinclination to wear a shirt, and it makes a certain amount of sense in Egypt, assuming he has some protective energy field so he doesn't have to worry about sunburns or skin cancer. Of course, if he has something like that, he should have shirt that will keep him cool no matter what. That might have cramped his style, though. I'm not a sandals fan, but they work. Kind of monochrome color scheme, but he's sparsely dressed enough his skin works as the offsetting color.

Then there's Immortus. Look, I wear my shirts untucked, too, but I don't put them under my belt where they form a little skirt or whatever*. Somehow, though, the thigh-high boots distract from it, so it doesn't bother me as much. Immortus also works the purple and green, but it's a softer purple, more of a lavender, which weakens his look. Kang's colors are bright, strong, they leap off that page and say, "Pay attention!" He throws in a gaudy/sickly yellow I don't care for, but I'm not a big fan of the color yellow in general. He does rock a cape, though, which is always a plus, but if he was going to go with such a high collar on it, he probably should have made it a different color from his hat. They blend together. The hat's a minus all around, though. He painted a roll of paper towels and jammed it on his head.

Also, I think the Phantom Stranger's the only one who can pull off the medallion look, and Immortus is no Phantom Stranger. if he was, I'd actually agree with Quasar's statement that the Annihilators were outmatched.

So I'm going with Immortus as the worst, but I know squat about fashion, so let's hear from you.

For the record, the Kang picture is by Jimmy Cheung, Rama-Tut's by Jack Kirby (and was originally posted on Grant bridge street), but I don't know who Immortus was drawn by. Sorry.

* So does Thanos, but I prefer the wandering monk look he had for awhile. It seemed practical, comfortable, and loose enough he could hide all sorts of stuff. He couldn't had a dime in that other outfit.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I was always partial to Kang's outfit, myself.