Monday, October 31, 2011

You Go Offline For A Weekend

I typed up Saturday and Sunday's posts on Friday morning, since I wasn't sure if I'd have a chance over the weekend. Turned out to be a good plan because I didn't have the opportunity. The downside was it's Monday before I can get around to mentioning the Cardinals winning the World Series. Which was nice, if certainly unexpected 2 months ago. When September started, I was looking forward to the Cards using the fact they were out of contention to give some younger players some run. That was what made September of 2010 enjoyable. But they played well, and Atlanta collapsed beyond what I expected, and here we are.

I hope they don't take this as a sign they should keep Theriot, because he imparts winning intangibles or something similar.

I spent the weekend (well, Saturday) running around with Alex, because he had a show. So there was traveling, and his desperate search for a costume, because the club was having a contest. He dressed in a sombrero, big fake mustache, and a shirt he thought worked. I dressed as nothing, though with my Cardinals' cap and sunglasses, I was only a Cardinals' jersey and empty wine bottle from being Tony LaRussa when he fails a sobriety test. Not even winning another title will stop me from poking fun at him, though perhaps a phone with "BULLPEN" on it, and me yelling futilely into it would be more appropriate.

A guy in an excellent Ace Ventura costume was the winner.

It wound up being an excellent show. Alex killed it with his set, huge sombrero and all, to the extent people were chanting for him during the next guy's set. Which can't be fun for that guy, but was pretty great for Alex. We made it back to his house by 6 a.m., so at least the sun wasn't sitting on the horizon burning out my eyes on the drive back for once.

No comments: