Saturday, October 01, 2011

Singing Of The Thin Shadow That Went Home

I watched the other three Thin Man movies over the course of this week. I'm not sure this is accurate, but I think they downplayed Nick's drinking a little. Maybe it's that they shifted from showing him drinking frequently, to making joking references to it. His son demanding Daddy drink milk too in Shadow of the Thin Man. His father seeing Nick on the floor, dazed, with a large flask on the floor next to him (it had cider in it) in The Thin Man Goes Home. I wonder if they received complaints from people who felt he set a bad example with all the drinking. Or maybe it's the only the present day that's littered with such busybodies.

I still like how reluctant Nick is to actually get involved, but once he starts, he sees it through doggedly. Is that why he resists getting pulled in? Because once he starts, he won't be able to stop until he's solved the case? You do think at some point he'd learn to stop trying to give Nora the slip. I'm sure he's concerned for her safety, but eventually he ought to figure out he's better off keeping her where he can see her.

I'm really impressed with how none of these crooks Nick put away ever seem to hold a grudge. Tehy're all glad to see him, they all seem eager to help if they can. Is it because Nick's a celebrity, so there's no shame in being caught by the Thin Man?

Partway through Shadow of the Thin Man, I thought I had the pattern for the identity of the killer figured out. Sure enough, I predicted it correctly, and even had some evidence I observed from a scene in the film. Then I pegged the killer right again in The Thin Man Goes Home. So naturally, when I predicted the killer for Song of the Thin Man, I whiffed entirely. Back to the old drawing board.

No comments: