Monday, April 23, 2012

Consider This A Trial Run

Welcome to the first Reporting on Marvels and Legends' post done with Blogger's new, butt ugly interface! It even takes three times as long to load the Create a Post screen now! Superb! The question is how many times will I post this, then go back and try to fix things before it either looks how I want, or I give up in frustration?

Anyway, I just got back from Cape Con 2012 a couple of hours ago. As this was a weekend that involved hanging out with Alex, I'm fried from too little sleep, so let's save the convention discussion for tomorrow.  Knowing I wasn't going to do a big post, it seemed like a good time to upgrade and start trying to pick my way through the many pitfalls lurking in the new design

However, rather than leave you with this, I will try to briefly discuss Sucker Punch, since Alex was determined I watch that with him on Friday night. Personally, I'd rather we watched Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang again, but oh well. Let's see, too much slow motion, which is no surprise. I don't think I've watched even one Zack Snyder movie the whole way through, and I still know he overuses slow-mo. I'm not sure what we were supposed to think of the abrupt shift from the mental institution to the bordello early in the film. I thought it was pretty obvious it was some strange hallucination she had in the moments before she ceased to think in any significant way, but I'm not sure whether Snyder was trying to trick us, of if he expected us to realize that. At least the way the movie ended explained why Baby Doll was always taking orders from Scott Glenn. I had sort of suspected he was her real father (as opposed to her stepdad), or how she remembered her dad, anyway, but I wasn't sure.

That still leaves the question of why, if Sweet Pea is telling us the story,, we would have all these video game scenes with dragons, and shooting robots on trains, or German zombies. Why would she visualize that as what Baby Doll sees when she starts dancing? Mystery for the ages perhaps. I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't enjoy it. I get the idea of imaging yourself doing something vitally important to get through some drudgery, but their situation seemed so dire it clashed with how, sort of absurd their "missions" were in the fantasy world. Also, I didn't find it necessary for the Blue to shoot two girls. I already disliked him.

Well, so much for briefly. Time to hit the button and see what disaster is brought forth.

2 comments:

joe ackerman said...

I hate the new interface. you can switch back to the old interface by going to the tools icon at the top right of your dashboard. for how long we're gonna have the option to do this, however, remains to be seen.

bleeding blogger. . .

CalvinPitt said...

joe bloke: My guess is only until the end of the month. They had a note yesterday that the old format was gonna be gone by the end of April, which is why I chose to switch. Better to do it myself than have them surprise me with it, I figured.

So far it hasn't tripped me up, though the new style for adding images will take some getting used to.