Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Like Reading People's Thoughts On Things They Like, Apparently

Something I love about comic blogs is the opportunity to read people discussing why they love a particular character, or what they think the character's about. Even if it's a character I don't like - Chris Sims writing about Batman, for example - I still find it enjoyable. Same goes for characters I don't have strong feelings for one way or the other. I don't have anything against Wonder Woman, but I don't have nothing for her, either. Even so, I've read a lot of posts about what the character means to other people I found fascinating and/or informative.

One reason is it's fun to read about something when the writer is clearly invested in it. When you can tell they care and enjoy writing on the topic, it's more fun to read. The other reason is it helps me understand what I like about a particular character, or don't like as the case may be. Everything I need to explain it may be in my head, but I can't quite figure how to put it together to explain it properly. Getting to see it from someone else's perspective can be quite useful in that regard.

I can't remember what exactly I read that helped me realize this, but it seemed worth mentioning all the same, since there are lots of things about the Internet in general, and comic blogs specifically that can be tiresome (hysterically reactionary jackasses, pomposity, etc.).

No comments: