Friday, April 27, 2012

What I Bought 4/21/2012 - Part 2

I will confess this new set-up does make adding links easier. Still not wild about the mew image adding procedure, though. In other news, Jack did not send along the first two parts of "The Omega Effect", which is OK. I was having regrets about ordering them as soon as I sent the list off, so it's no big deal. Saves me a few bucks.

Defenders #5, by Matt Fraction (writer), Mitch Breitweiser (artist and colorist), Bettie Breitweiser (colorist), Clayton Cowles (letterer) - The Surfer looks like he's holding his breath on that cover, which wouldn't be necessary for him. Then again, there are all kinds of things floating in the ocean, so it might be better to keep his mouth shut.

In plot matters, the Atlanteans found a tomb, whose door is covered by the same symbol as the Concordance Engine, which none of the Defenders can actually say, for some reason. The Surfer burns through the door, they find the Nautilus buried in a monster's (looked more like a giant M-11 from Agents of Atlas to me, but whatever) chest. Then a bunch of warrior fish women burst forth, attack until Namor gets them to calm down, then leave. When they return, they diss Namor, and state they've sort of declared war on the surface world. They aren't attacking cities, but any humans or human stuff in the oceans is fair game. Then Fat Cobra interrupts Danny and Misty Knight's romantic evening to say someone is killing them, and it's Danny's fault. Sigh, Fat Cobra, we went over this in your issue of Immortal Weapons. All those people trying to kill you are the various children you've sired from your numerous liaisons over the years, remember?

I honestly have no idea where Fraction is going with this. I mean, these "Daughters of Pontus" or whatever, that are promising to overthrow Namor, on top of whatever the deal is with the Engine and the Prestors, and now the Immortal Weapons are under attack? His Namor's a bit different than I'm used to. Still high-handed and arrogant, but in a distant, cold way as opposed to his more typical hot-headed, loud proclamations way. The Breitweisers worked together on the art and some of the scenery is vivid and beautiful, but the faces are frequently indistinct or sketchy looking. But not always, so I don't know if it was a time issue, or if their art style doesn't lend itself well to small panels. It's not a huge style shift to come to this from Michael Lark last issue, but if the Dodsons come back next month, that's going to be quite the change.

Secret Avengers #25, by Rick Remender (writer), Gabriel Hardman (artist), Bettie Breitweiser (colorist), Chris Eliopoulos (letterer) - Much as I hate to admit it, the new Venom design is growing on me. I can't believe I just admitted that. That's a classic Art Adams' pose the Widow's sporting, isn't it?

Basically, the Avengers get their butts kicked, barely escape, and are tricked into thinking they actually won something. Not a great start to Hawkeye's stint as team leader. Turns out I was right to be suspicious of O'Grady's return from the dead, though I guess we'll see if the rest of the team sits down and compares notes. I suppose we learned Father's deal, and what's up with the Descendants, assuming we can take the story at face value. Deathlok Miss America says she has free will, but given Father at one point said he had called all those artificial lifeforms there not to hear their opinions, but to tell them their opinions, I have my doubts. Besides, even if she has free will, there's nothing to stop her from lying.

It's interesting, since Bettie Breitweiser is involved in the coloring of each, but the colors on this seem more vivid than they were on Defenders. I suppose the colors on that could have been dulled to represent being at the bottom of the ocean, where it's dark and murky, the light probably coming mostly from the Surfer. It could just be that Secret Avengers had a lot more action this issue, and that lends itself to brighter displays.

It's a good thing Marvel's a month away from releasing solicitations for August. Having finished his initial story, I'm questioning whether I want to hang around with Secret Avengers to see where Remender and Hardman go once these interminable AvX tie-ins are done.

No comments: