Friday, March 22, 2013

A Dash Through The Solicits

Three things relevant to me in the latest batch of solicitations:

- New Atomic Robo mini-series! Savage Sword of Doctor Dinosaur! I wonder what makes the sword savage? I'm sure the good doctor will tell us. It's probably crystals.

This is the best news, though I am curious to see if Dr. D holds up as well over a multi-issue story. He's very good as a single issue antagonist, but will his act wear thin over 5 issues? Hopefully not.

- X-Men's already running late. That took less time than I expected. To be fair, I don't know why issue 3 wasn't solicited, though I suspect Copiel, but it's not a good sign it's falling behind already. {Edit: Tip o' the cap to Anonymous, who informs me the delay is due to a family emergency for either Wood or Copiel. The fact there's an emergency is bad news, but strictly from a comics perspective, the delay is a little heartening. I can take it as a sign Marvel is serious about this creative team working on this book, and they're willing to wait to make that happen. That has to be a strong sign of support, assuming I'm not misreading the situation completely.}

- Fearless Defenders #5. The more I've thought about, the more the first issue bothers me. Not because there was something awful about it, just the way it made no impression on me. The writing wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything spectacular, either. Same for the art. I'm left wondering if I should dump it or not. I was hoping to read #2, see if it swayed me, but I don't have it yet. Decisions, decisions.

Oh what the heck, one more.

- Dial H #13. This isn't anything about the solicitation itself, merely the fact it exists. I've assumed this book was on borrowed time from the start, so each month it continues to ship is a pleasant surprise. Especially as DC seems to be swinging the cancellation axe more frequently as the relaunch progresses.

I wonder what Mieville makes of all this creative upheaval at DC, as someone who hasn't spent much time in the comics industry? Does he find it all terribly unprofessional, or are there similar horror stories in the sci-fi publishing world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The X-Men delay is due to some kind of family emergency, I believe (I can't recall if it was Wood's or Coipel's family).

CalvinPitt said...

Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the post with that information.