Monday, March 25, 2013

The Ink-Stained Trail - Chapter 4

The following day got off to a late start. Overslept, though you wouldn't know it from how cotton-stuffed my head felt. A shower only helped a little, so I headed for the diner, hoping breakfast would have more success. Heavyset flannel shirt - red this time - and his buddies were there again. Even waved hello as I came in. Burned Nose held up the tobasco.

"Need this again, fella?" The way my head felt, a good cleansing fire might be just the thing. Still, I shook my head. 'No, just the pancakes today. My sinuses and I understand each other now.' That got a laugh. I seated myself at the next table over, ordered my pancakes, and waited, tuning into the chatter around me again.

"There go the Cowbirds again." I looked up.

The guys were staring out the window. Across the street, Sean and Michael walked with 2 other guys. No lady in sight today. "Cowbirds?"

The oldest of the group, his wide straw hat hanging from his chair, glanced at me. "On account of them following that lady around."

"And they all got brown hair," Red Flannel added. "Just strange, is what it is." There were nods of agreement all around.

"Who's the lady? I've seen her around, but haven't been introduced."

The elder statesman responded. "Name's Maggie Duncan. Came here from overseas about five years ago."

"Naw, it was six years ago." The one with the burned nose corrected.

"The hell it was. She showed up the spring before the weevil blight. That was five years ago." Murmurs of agreement from the other two convinced Burned Nose to surrender and concentrate on his coffee. "Anyways, some of these boys came with her, others showed up later. Why you so interested?"

"Those two in the lead gave my car a push last night. We didn't get acquainted."

Burned Nose scoffed. "Hard to believe those fellas would help anyone."

"The lady told them to," I offered. That prompted a round of knowing looks and nods.

"That makes sense. Those boys would light themselves on fire if she said so."

"She's got a presence," the elder chipped in. "Don't rightly know what it is, exactly, but she's got that quality that makes you want to follow. had a sarjint in the war like that."

Down the street, the Cowbirds entered a drugstore on the corner. "Why are they in and out of the shops all day? More money than sense?" The fellas exchanged looks, but said they didn't know. I didn't press, I was just starting to make nice, no point in making enemies instead. My observations told me the guys spent most of the days going in and out, sometimes buying, but usually not. My breakfast arrived. I tucked in, hoping the sugar would help me connect the dots. Only one car followed me last night, out of five. Which means the others had business at the house. Which was as suspicious to me, as my presence had been to them. I knew what I'd been up to - nosing around - but what was their game? A more direct visit to that home might be in order, but I wanted to learn more about the land it stood on.

I paid my bill, actually introduced myself to the fellas, and got to learn their names. Burned Nose was Jeb, Flannel was Bill, the old man was Samuel, and Red Cap was Tip. Nice guys, at least when the coffee's flowing.

No comments: