Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Han's Gotta Do Things His Way

Over the weekend I came across Return of the Jedi on TNT. I haven't watched the movie in a while, and I didn't ultimately stick around long this time either. Hey, the NBA playoffs were on.

The Rebels are sneaking around in the forests on Endor, and I noticed that while Luke and Leia are both wearing the helmets, and camo ponchos, Han Solo is walking around with no protective headgear in a camo trenchcoat.

The lack of a helmet isn't a surprise. Han doesn't strike me as a character that worries much about cranial trauma. And if I had his hair, I wouldn't want to wear that dumb helmet either. But I did find it funny the others are wearing something that seems appropriate for roughing it in a wet, wooded area, and Han's rocking a big coat instead, like he's in the middle of a Western. I suppose it would keep the rain off, although it seems like it'd weigh a ton when it got wet, and get caught on things easily. All the other rebels appear to be wearing full-body camo outfits. Either a jacket and pants combo, or camo coveralls.

I would guess Harrison Ford's height might have something to do with it. Maybe they didn't have any ponchos in Han's size. The Rebel Alliance is a cash-strapped organization, certainly compared to the Empire. Uniform budgets were probably an easy cut. The ones Luke and Leia have barely go past the waist. Han might look like he was wearing a peculiar lobster bib.

On the other hand, even if they had a poncho appropriate for his size, Han turning it down. Just doesn't work for him, he says. Maybe they'd have something a little cooler, with a few more pockets? The quartermaster looks at General Leia, she looks at Chewie to see if Han is serious. The Wookie shrugs, she rolls her eyes, and tells the guy or gal to make something happen. Han is oblivious to all this unspoken communication. Luke is somewhere in the background hiding a chuckle behind his hand.

No comments: