Monday, June 25, 2018

Fall Isn't Off To A Great Start

In terms of new stuff I'm looking forward to, September's solicitations were real slim. There's a collection called Mooncop by Tom Gauld, coming out through Drawn & Quarterly. Sounds quiet and introspective, but could be cool.

Yeah, that was about it for new stuff. In titles I'll still be buying, there's Seeds, Giant Days, Coda, and Stellar from non-Marvel publishers. I found the first two issues of Coda, and the first issue of Stellar this weekend, and I feel pretty sure I'll still be buying both in September.

Having said that, I hope neither book does something so awful I drop them out of disgust in the next three months. That would be awkward. I already feel a little embarrassed I was so excited for Bubba Ho-Tep and the Cosmic Blood Suckers, and the first issue did not impress. That it was two months late, and they've gone and missed this month as well, isn't helping. Actually, I'm expecting two, maybe three other books to ship in September that were supposed to be done by then, but have run into delays. So that'll pick things up a bit.

At Marvel, nothing much changes. Ms. Marvel is fighting Shocker. He's always good as a one-off villain. And I recall that Kamala's vulnerable to shocks. Granted, that's electricity and he works off vibrations, but maybe it'll result in similar problems. Squirrel Girl's trying an all-silent issue. I wonder if the jokey comments at the bottom of the page will be silent as well? It could work - I remember enjoying a couple of the books from the "Nuff Said" month Marvel did in late 2001. Domino is wrapping up its opening arc, and there's also an annual, which I'm most likely skipping. the Multiple Man mini-series is in its penultimate issue.

Oh, they're doing a collection of the complete run of Chuck Dixon and Eduardo Barreto's Marvel Knights! Which. . . I already have in single issues, but might be relevant to some of your interests!

They're also releasing the final one of this series of one-shots that are really a mini-series about a Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel team-up in September. Now each one-shot is selling at 5 bucks a pop. They solicited the collection of all 5 of them this month (to be released in November) for $10 total. Suddenly, all interest in buying the single issues evaporated. Are they really expecting sales figures that high for the single issues? Why am I assuming Marvel has any sort of plan at all?

2 comments:

SallyP said...

You really have to wonder aometimes who is actually running things. I guess Disney is so rich, they can afford to...undercut themselves?

Who the heck knows?

CalvinPitt said...

I've read many times the theory that Disney just looks at the comics as a way to come up with ideas for use in movies and TV, and that seems to be fairly accurate. Whether the comics make money themselves is secondary.