Friday, June 22, 2018

Giant Days Volume 5

I'm surprised that panel of Daisy's reminder to Esther hasn't gone viral. It feels like the kind of thing people would post on tumblr after reading someone posting utterly ignorant nonsense. Trump manages to go five minutes without actively shitting himself, someone posts about how he's "figuring it out", or "pivoting", you post that panel.

Anyway, Volume 5 cover issues 17-20, and as usual, John Allison and Max Sarin, with Liz Fleming (inker), Whitney Cogar (colorist), and Jim Campbell (letterer), keep a lot of threads going. McGraw's dating someone else after breaking up with Susan, and Susan is handling it poorly. Esther and Ed dupe themselves into helping Dean Thompson to sell other peoples' essays to students by modifying select phrases. Daisy has a miserable archaeology field trip due to an overbearing professor. That's all in #17. From there, they have an end-of-first-year dance party, attend a summer music festival, and move into their new, off-campus home. The latter prompts a trip to Ikea for furniture. I have never been to an Ikea, although I'm not sure where the closest one is.

The Internet tells me it's two hours to an Ikea store. That explains that. I'm sure as hell not driving to St. Louis or Kansas City just to buy furniture.

The jokes and good lines are flying in constantly, working beautifully with Sarin, Fleming, and Cogar's art. Every page has some facial expression, posture, visual gag, or detail that I enjoy looking at or get a chuckle from.

My college days were not at all like this, although I'm a largely solitary introvert, which probably explains that. But I kind of wish I had college adventures like these, even though I certainly would have hated them at the time. That's how most of my adventures with Alex go. I'm irritated by the drunks, noise, and crowds, but there always ends up being something memorable.

No comments: