Monday, June 11, 2018

What I Bought 6/8/2018

This week coming up there may be as many as 8 comics coming out I want. Whether I can find all of them is another matter. Unfortunately, last week there was only one book that came out I wanted. Why can't all these companies work together to space out the books I want to buy more equitably?

Giant Days #39, by John Allison (writer), Julia Madrigal (artist), Whitney Cogar (color artist), Jim Campbell (letterer) - Here we see Daisy dealing with the crushing horror of having lots of people who want to offer her high-paying jobs. Wait, what?

The entire issue is devoted to a job fair. Daisy is immaculately prepared, and finds herself with job offers pouring in from every direction. Esther is entirely unprepared, and for a time only succeeds in sowing chaos. She may have gotten an offer from MI-6, but she's uncertain whether she's thinking too much about her future or not enough. McGraw's only there because Susan insisted he go, and Susan, who has two more years of schooling to go, is only there to grab all the freebies. I have a coworker like that whenever we attend conferences. Who needs that many pens, key chains, calendars, and assorted crap? And in news most interesting to me, Ed is preparing to return, and Esther has been texting him repeatedly. But Ed isn't replying! I really want the next month's issue right now.

This issue is more focused than most, since it revolves entirely around the recruitment fair, but Allison and Madrigal still use it to advance the characters. Esther is resistant to the realities of what work may be like, and wants something exciting. Except she also thinks she already knows what she'll end up doing, and worries about being locked onto a particular path. Or that her own ability to coast along obliviously will cost her any chance to get off that path once she's on it. Daisy is more realistic about the likelihood she'll be working behind a desk or serving coffee. Then she finds herself besieged by offers, at which point her kind, can-do attitude works against her. She's not much for negotiating, and hates turning people down or disappointing them

I think about which character in this book I'm most like, and it's usually close between Ed and Susan, but I may be more Daisy than I thought. Minus the cheerful attitude. I can't even fake a cheerful attitude convincingly.

When Daisy's portfolio can't hold any more business cards, the sound effect for it bursting open is "BUSINESS!", which I didn't notice until the second read, but amused me. So did Esther's mistaken, but very cool vision, or archaeology. I still see something in Madrigal's artwork that reminds me of Phil Foglio, mostly when one character is looking at another off to one side and smiling. The combination seems familiar. I think Madrigal could afford to get a little more cartoonish at times, go nuts with the characters, exaggerate things, but it's not harming the book any. Her work is very expressive, and sells the humor parts and more serious parts very well. The vacant-eyed zombies in the background as Esther rants, the sparkles around Daisy's resume (and her sniffing it as she worries about Esther).

No comments: