Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Free Fire

This movie is hilarious. I'm not sure I'm supposed to laugh as much as I did, but oh well. Basically, a bunch of Irish, um, I don't know if they're IRA or some Irish mob (led by Cillian Murphy), came to Boston to buy guns from this English South African moron. Plus there are two people (one played by Armie Hammer, the other by Brie Larsen) where I'm not sure why they're there. As middlemen maybe? Did this deal require two middlemen?

During the gun buy, which covers the first 20 minutes, things fall apart completely because everyone involved is the dumbest bunch of jackasses I've ever seen. The remaining 70 minutes of the movie is a shoot out between everyone involved in the remains of this old factory.

I'm not sure how long it's supposed to be for them. Long enough people start to get woozy from blood loss, long enough for one character (played by Armie Hammer) to smoke at least one joint, and for another character, the one that causes the problems in the first place to smoke some crack he takes from his dead friend's body.

It's just really funny watching these people try to outflank or out maneuver each other. Almost everyone is stuck using handguns to try and hit people on the opposite side of this huge room with all these concrete pillars and rubble all over the place. Every so often someone will try to get a truce going, only for another character to say or do something stupid and start the whole thing up again. There are two guys with rifles that show up and try to kill everyone, and the mystery behind that kind of hangs in the background.

It's a lot of characters who have much higher opinions of their skill and intelligence than is accurate. Which is probably true of most of us, but it makes for some entertaining viewing.

4 comments:

Gary said...

I saw this when it came out and yeah, it's great fun - really enjoyed it.

My memory's not best, but I think the two guys who turn up at the end with rifles were connected with Brie Larsen's character (or maybe it was Hammer's) as part of a sting - Larsen/Hammer were there to organise the sale to the Irish then their partners turn up to steal everything back while Larsen/Hammer pretend to be innocent. Something like that.

Glad you enjoyed it.

CalvinPitt said...

Gary: Yeah, Larsen's character for sure is working with the gunmen. I think Hammer's character isn't, unless he was doing such a good job of being surprised when he recognized one of the gunmen he fooled me (entirely possible). I just thought it was weird they needed two people to get this thing put together, but I guess if Larsen is the contact for the Irish, and Hammer for the gun runner, it sort of makes sense.

thekelvingreen said...

This was filmed just around the corner from me, in a building that was set to be demolished and turned into flats. All done in some secrecy too, as no one around here seemed to know all these Hollywood types were hanging about!

CalvinPitt said...

Kelvin: I'm surprised they could manage that, but it was such a small cast, and so few locations, I guess that helped.

Plus, in 2016, I wouldn't have had a chance of recognizing anyone in the movie except Cillian Murphy if I saw them on the street. Maybe that was part of it.