Friday, November 15, 2019

Hey, It Keeps Me Off The Streets

I'm trying NaNoWriMo for the first time. Sort of. In the same way I use Inktober as a general framework to get myself to draw, but don't actually use pens, I'm just using this to make myself write. I have three different things I'm working on, and my goal is to write 50,000 words total by the end of the month. This year's Blogsgiving will probably end up counting towards, since it's also me writing a story.

None of the stories will be done by November 30, not even close. But considering I only wrote 12,000 words between the three of them in the entire month of September, and I didn't write any during October (because I was supposed to be sketching, with limited success), that'll still represent serious progress.

I've been rotating between them, working on a different one each night, using 1700 words as my minimum. Tonight I wrapped up a chapter, but I had the next one planned out in my head, so I went ahead and typed it. So around ~2900 words tonight, which I think gets me on pace to reach 50K by the end of the month. I was behind from the start because I didn't write any on the 1st or 2nd.

Hey, you try to concentrate on doing any serious writing at my father's. Between planning the home repair projects, trying to complete the home repairs, his dogs, whatever movie we're trying to watch, and him trying to carry on a conversation with me while we watch the movie, there's no chance.

I actually like the rotating approach, because it gives me a couple of days to think about what comes next before I have to actually type it. Beyond that, it's just what I usually find when I write, that I can piece things together as I go. I'll still have to go back and revise the hell out of all of these later, but the groundwork is being laid to where hopefully those will be minor revisions.

No comments: