Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Locke & Key

I watched the first half of this last month, when I went up to Alex' one Sunday and we ate a ridiculous amount of chicken wings. I finally watched the second half last week.

It's pretty good. Watching the Locke kids flail and try to make plans while "Well Lady" is running around making plans and putting things in motion is kind of fun. The fact the kids actually try to get help, from their parents, their friends, any other adults they think might be able to help. The ending of the final episode caught me off guard. I knew there were going to be shenanigans involving the key that changes your appearance, but there ended up being an additional layer to it I didn't expect.

Although I thought the reveal was going to be Dodge had switched places with Kinsey after the shadows ambushed her in the basement, but it was someone else that got swapped. I'm still unclear on how you can change how someone else looks using the key on them, but I guess if they aren't thinking of an appearance, someone else's intent can drive it.

I really like the way they represent how the Head Key works, with each person having some sort of door that leads into their mind. The difference in how things play out with Kinsey's fear as a result of the difference is a nice touch. It added a different element to things. I'm not sure about the episode where the kids realize that relapsing into alcoholism is causing their mother to actually remember the weird magic shit. Granting that the kids make some dumb decisions, I didn't think there was much suspense about whether they'd encourage her drinking for the sake of having an (inebriated) ally. This isn't Family Guy.

I guess there wouldn't be much suspense about it on Family Guy either. The answer would definitely be "yes".

I think Laysla De Oliveira gives a good performance as Dodge/Well Lady, especially in how good she is at being cruel or threatening. Her final words to Sam Lesser, the way she toys with Bodie when he sets the trap. She's playful, but the way she advances on him and looms over him, it was worrying. I was pretty sure they wouldn't kill Bodie that soon, but on the other hand, couldn't rule it out.


No comments: