Friday, March 27, 2020

This May All Be Moot Now

Who knows if any of the comics in June's solicitations will actually come out that month, given that Diamond's shutting down distribution for the next who knows how long, but let's take a look. There wasn't much new that caught my eye, but I couldn't expect for there to keep being multiple new series like that each month indefinitely.

In terms of things I'll already be buying (probably), there's the 3rd issue of Spy Island, the 4th issue of Amethyst, and the 4th and final issue of Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage. DC is also gifting us with the Doom Patrol by John Byrne Omnibus. I have never heard anyone say anything good about that series.

There's also the 4th issue of Wicked Things, and 3rd issue of Rogue Planet. I didn't see an issue of Sera and the Royal Stars, though. Vertical is releasing the 6th volume of Kino's Journey. Maybe I'll have caught up by then!

Let's see, Black Cat is going to send Lily Hollister, who I vaguely remember as someone from the early stretch of Brand New Day, after Felicia. I think Felicia can do better for an arch-foe, but Lily probably can't. Deadpool is dealing with the fallout from wherever that teleportation bullet Elsa shot him with sent him. I don't know if that means we find out what happened while he was in that other place, or that something from it has followed him. In Runaways, the X-Men are going to try and kidnap Molly. Probably. I mean, they've spent months trying to take Franklin Richards away from his parents.

I give Reed Richards a lot of shit - which he deserves - but he and Sue have a hell of a lot better track record of keeping their kids alive than Xavier or Magneto do. Chuck's mortality rate among his students is like something out of a World War I battlefield.

Taskmaster's running afoul of the White Fox. Sure, why not. It's finally dawned on me the New Warriors are going to be on the side of the authority figures in this Outlawed thing, which seems to run counter to everything the New Warriors should be. Plus, having seen the designs and codenames for the new characters, yikes. It's like when Nick Spencer tried to catch current culture in his Sam Wilson Captain America run and had that one character called "Trigger Warning."

Among Marvel stuff I probably won't buy, but noticed. Shang-Chi's gonna fight his kid in a mini-series. Spidey's about to have another mental breakdown. The Juggernaut is going to fight the Hulk. They're touting the return of Vengeance, the Ghost Rider with a horse skull or something, in a Ghost Rider Annual, and I'm trying to figure out who was clamoring for that.

Outside that, there's just not a heck of a lot besides a few collections. Humanoids is releasing a softcover volume of Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius' The Incal, which they say is the best selling sci-fi graphic novel of all time. Magnetic Press had a couple of things. One called Zaya, by Jean-David Morvan and Huang-Jia Wei, about a secret agent in the far future coming out of retirement and finding stuff about their past. Pretty standard as far as the plot goes, but Wei's art kind of interests me, based on the cover at least.

I know, I'm literally judging a book by its cover. But only insofar as whether I'll like the art, which seems fair.

Then the other was Gunland, which is your mash-up of magic, and westerns, and dinosaurs. Which again, not that unusual, but I like at least a couple of those elements, so it's got a chance. It would come down to execution.

No comments: