Monday, August 31, 2020

Not a Lot New in November

It's like the title says, the November solicits aren't brimming with much good news. Not a surprise, everyone is probably expecting a resurgence of covid as the weather gets worse, and everything shuts down again. Or the imposition of a police state by the current administration in an attempt to refuse to surrender power after they hopefully lose the election. And with that cheery thought. . .

I didn't see anything of interest from IDW or Image. Or DC once I could actually track down their solicitations. Several series were ending, though they still had plenty of those Tales from the Dark Multiverse comics. If that's something you're interested in, you poor bastard. No listed issue of Wicked Things for Boom, but that series has done pretty well about coming out, so I can't complain. Or I could, but I won't for once.

The first issue of Chelsea Cain and Elise McCall's Spy Island finally comes out this week. So maybe I'll know soon whether I'll want to buy the third issue in November! Reading the solicit, I do have to wonder how they prove the necklaces are made with real mermaid teeth. Maybe those are just pig teeth. I know how these scams work.

Marvel is going to try (and fail) once again to make people care about the Eternals, by handing Kieron Gillen and Esad Ribic a new series. I'm sure the dozen variant covers will do the trick. Enjoy the five issues before its inevitable cancelation. Or don't, whichever. I don't care.

In news more pertinent to my interests, that Taskmaster mini-series Jed MacKay and Alessandro Vitti are doing is finally starting up. Hooray! Deadpool is still dealing with the fallout from Elsa briefly teleporting him into a goo dimension several issues ago.

It looks like Marvel is also slowly booting back up that Outlawed event, where all the teen heroes are being chased around by jackbooted facists in tactical gear. I kind of wondered if, given the current climate of protest, Marvel would just shelve that one. Given their tendency to be on the wrong side of things, I would expect the story to conclude, "Yes, these children who are trying to make the world a better place should be locked up extrajudicially. The adults who have fucked things up so impressively know what's best." I guess we'll see. The Power Pack mini-series that was part of it has shown up. I didn't remember that it was written by Ryan North and Drawn by Nico Leon. That's encouraging; I like those dudes' work.

Outside of that, Aftershock had Kaiju Score by James Patrick and Rem Broo, about a crew trying to pull of a heist during a giant monster attack. Which I read somewhere has already been optioned to become a movie. So maybe I should just wait for the film? I wonder which one will more prominently feature the monster? Probably the comic. The movie will take the Cloverfield or recent Godzilla approach and focus on the people and the monster is just kind of in the background, roaring occasionally. Cheaper that way.

Scout Comics has issue 3 of Atlantis Wasn't Built for Tourists. My initial attempt to get the first issue failed, but hopefully I'll get it in time to decide whether to buy the third issue. Source Point Press has the second issue of that Broken Gargoyles mini-series. The "dieselpunk" thing set after World War 1.

And that's pretty much it for me.

No comments: